Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

S Eyes Only Nissan - loud plastic 'clicking' sound under…

For Jay's Eyes OnlyNissan -...
For Jay's Eyes OnlyNissan - loud plastic 'clicking' sound under hood - somewhere near cooling fan - when heat is on. doesn't change rhythm with change in speed, idling. Got any ideas?
3/10/2018
Jay
Jay, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

So I understand this, the clicking noise you are hearing, only comes on when the heat or air controller is turned on. So the noise only comes on when the fans engage.. Correct?

correct

This is what I would start off doing. I would unplug one fan at a time and see if it's one of the fans making the noise. How many miles do you have on the truck?

If you find the noise is coming from lets say only the drivers fan when it comes on, I would then make sure the vehicle is off, and turn the fan by hand and see if it's catching the shroud. Mainly the bottom part, cause there is a bottom trim that is removed and if not snapped in right, it can make contact with the fan which could cause this noise.

About 39k - put about 22k on in past year - majority was highway miles, some were 3+ hours trips; synthetic blend oil change every 5-6k; monthly car wash w/undercarriage
not clear on how to unplug fan(s) - got a diagram/schematic?

I don't.. The info in the service manual is horrible. But there is a gray plug on each fan. So with the engine off, I would unplug 1 fan at time.

Can you take a picture of your fan area, and I will see if I can point them out for you?

can do - stand by ...... () ... [pretend that's a spinning wheel thingy]

lol

DAMN! Those fins are SHARP :-(
was able to free-spin w/o unplugging; no clacking on anything (except for my finger) from either fan (just behind radiator, right?)
did you see my 2nd question re:engine noise after shut off?

No? Did not see a second question about a noise after turning it off?

I saw you posted 2 questions, thought it was a duplicate question of this one, so I closed it. I didn't really read it, it looked the same cause you put for my eyes only ...lol

can you re-open, or are you going to make me re-type with a bloody finger?

I just looked at the question that I closed as a duplicate question. I wonder if the noise is the cooling fans. They are on a delay. I can't re-open it so I will just help you with in this question.

So it makes sense that they would run for a few mins after the car is turned off. That would produce a humming type noise.

clicking/clacking sound is while engine is running - driving/idle/parked; don't think it's related to post-engine off event. the post-shut off issue was part of the second question

Any chance you can take a video of the noise so I can hear it? Post it on You Tube and share the link here. You can show me both issues so I can properly address them...

I am starting to think maybe you have a exhaust heat shield making noise also..But if I heard it, I would know for sure...

might take awhile - stay tuned.
how much longer are you online today?

I am online while I work till 4pm EST. Then I will be back online later tonight around 6 or 7 pm Till late night

Have not heard back from you?

Morning,
had some 'lost-power-for-three-days-from-Nor'easter-storm (Boston area) frig purging/replenishing' and 'might-as-well-clean-the-whole-dam-thing-while-we're-at-it' adventures to partake. Will get back to the Pathfinder today. Stay tuned. thx

No worries.. That was the storm that just blew by me in NJ dumping 26 inches.. So I lost power for a day or so also. Take your time. I am here when you are ready to continue.

video too large to attach; Do I look like I have a clue how to upload to YouTube? I prefer 'you-jay' .... usually more reliable. I did a dropbox thing - whatever that means. any idea how you can retrieve that?
I'm pretty sure it's the driver fan; maybe loose? Looks like it's moving forward/back on it's spindle/axle/thing-a-mah-jig?

I don't know your skill level. I thought maybe there was a way you can show me. I just figured if there was a way you can show me what you are hearing, that could help me determine more what you are hearing to help you.

If the fan you see it moving forward and back, that sounds like you have a bad fan. It should not move forward and back, just spin.

looks like excessive vibrations - what would cause it to loosen up?

The Fan Motor. The fan comes as part of that whole assemlby

is it 'critical' - have a four-hour drive tomorrow - does this get worse?
let's try this one .... https://youtu.be/zRU07XVVVJE

Hang on...

That video was perfect!!! Thank you.. That is 100% a Fan Issue.. I see it wobbling like you said. As far as a*****. I don't recommend it. Unless you can get it fixed first thing in the AM before you go. But if that Fan Comes apart, it will take out the Radiator which is 700 dollars just for the part. So I would make other arrangements if you can.

Not-so) good to know. Do you think that's covered under the bumper-to-bumper extended warranty I paid extra for?
Assuming parts available and a dealership mechanic can get right on it, how long to fix?

It's very possible! The way extended warranties work these days. Once a problem has been diagnosed, the part number is ***** in the data base and that tells us if it's covered.

Is this a Nissan Extended Warranty? If so, Do you recall if it's the Bronze, Silver or Gold?

Dealers normally don't have this instock, but can get it the next day. So if you dropped it off lets say Monday, you would get it back Tuesday. As far as how long it takes to replace, it's about 2 hours or so.

thought this message went out, but maybe not:
can you determine the coverage from my VIN? I think I got the gold.

I can not. I don't have that access to check. Gold is the Best one. So if you have the Gold, then I am sure it's covered. You just have the 100 dollar deductible.

Actually, I (was told) have a ZERO deductible ... am I dreaming, or livin' the dream?

There is some with a Zero deductible. Some with 100 deductible..

The most common is the 100 dollar deductible. So if you got the Zero one, that is one hell of a plan you got!! That is awesome!

This paticular dealership gave me $2k more for my trade-in than its own (el-cheap-o/ripoff) sister dealership salesman two towns away. So I loaded up with extras, and they gave me more extras .... guess I'm livin' the dream afterall

That is awesome. Nice to have that buffer when in a bind!

Jay
Jay, ASE Certified Technician
goingto ride it out tomorrow - 7:30 am start, maybe call it in on the way to Springfield and hopefully drop it off/rab loaner on way home; also a THIRD nor'easter rolling in tomorrow night; 6-10 more inches of snow. Be still my heart. accepting now.Will set up the second question later - maybe tomorrow. Have paperwork to do (and bathroom curtains to hang) before bedtime. thanks Jay

Sounds like your in my neck of the Woods in NJ..

Have a good day. I am always here in the Evenings mainly during the week.

Be safe in the Snow tomorrow.

Thanks Jay!