Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

Red dot has appeared on dash and jeep won't start. And they…

Customer Question
Red dot has appeared...

Red dot has appeared on dash and jeep won't start

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Yes and they are perfectly fine. All electrical works, just won't start

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

2015 patriot

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Patriot yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, I haven't done anything to it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

There is no ticking sound like when it's a dead battery and no warning gauges light up besides the red dot above the temp gauge

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Jeep
All this started happening after my alarm was accidentally set off with the fob
3/10/2018
Jeep Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 4 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

If the car's not cranking then first check it can turned over by hand by using a socket on the crank pulley nut, so double checking for any mechanical issues

If OK then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.

Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch/ pushing the start button to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch/ starter button so this may be faulty and need replacing

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced

Don't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V

also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cables

one other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its off

If this is all OK then its possible the car needs a new starter motor

What does the red light gauge mean then
why only has it happened since my alarm was tripped

Hello

there's a few red lights and its possible that the immobiliser is still active as there is a light

There's a red light come on above the temp gauge

I think that's the transmission overheat indicator.

can you show me what light it is on the dash

see the attached image

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt