Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

120,340 miles, starting to run just a little rough, using…

120,340 miles, starting to...

120,340 miles, starting to run just a little rough, using more gas than usual

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Starts fine, Not a total gaas hog, but I have noticed a difference. In addition, does not seem to idle or run as smooth as it had previously

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2005 Jeep Liberty, 3.7

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Liberty yourself? What have you tried so far?

I plan to should I have the time. I have done nothing yet

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That should do it Looking to see if their are anymor3 sensors than should be changed at 120 K

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
Gunvir Singh

Hello, let me review your request. Please stand by.

Do you have any fault lights illuminatedbon the dash?

No, the check engine light came on and off a few times... flickered on and off, is currently off

Ok. Does it run rough when engine is cold, warmed up or all the time?

I would rather not incur the extra expense. thank you

No need to call, ignore that pop up. I can help you over this chat.

Sounds good
Could it be the O2 sensor?

I dont think the oxygen sensor can give you that issue. Does it run rough when engine is cold, warmed up or all the time?

Seems once it is a bit warm...
When was the last time the tune up was performed?
It has been some time....

Did you get the codes scanned when the check engine light came on?

I did not. I had an appointment to have it looked at this morning, but the mechanic never showed at his garage. Thinking it is time to find someone else

ALso have you noticed the coolant level or oil level getting low?

I have not checked, but that would not surprise me. I have a slight oil leak and check it's level. Haven't in a bit
I can check levels later when I get home, or tomorrow at latest....

Ok. Reason i ask these vehicles are notorious for burning coolant and oil around this mileage. That can also give you the symptom you are experiencing. If good, than the most common reason for engine to run rough is spark plugs worn out, throttle plate dirty or a clogged catalytic converter.

How do I check and clean throttle plate? What about the catalytic converter? I can easily change plugs

A exhaust back pressure gauge will be needed to check for a clogged catalytic. The Throttle place is part of the throttle body that can be accessed by removing the air hose from the air cleaner box to throttle body. If dirty it can be cleaned using aerosol carb cleaner.

Great! I will check all of these. Throttle plate, fluids you mentioned and plugs....If still problematic, I will have someone check the catalytic

Also if the check engine light commes on swing by an autozone for a free code check that will give you an idea which system is acting up.

Perfect! Will do....

Do you have any other questions?

No...Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. Greatly appreciated.

You're welcome and good luck with your vehicle, And please don’t forget to rate my performance in the upper left corner otherwise i don’t get compensated. Thank you and have a blessed day.

Gunvir Singh
Will rate you very high right now!

Thank you.

Thanks