Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

Same situation, I hooked up my battery on my 2011 Jeep

Customer Question
Same situation, I hooked...

Same situation, I hooked up my battery on my 2011 Jeep liberty. When I did the horn blasted, wipers and head lights came on. After I switched the cables and put them on correctly it started but ran rough for a few minutes. I went back about an hour later and there was no power at all.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Complete power outage.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Liberty yourself? What have you tried so far?

Trying to fix it myself. I put the battery in wrong last night so I am going to get a new battery and possibly a 40 amp fuse.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Jeep
3/8/2018
Jeep Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 4 months ago
Gunvir Singh

Hello, let me review your request.Please stand by.

Jeep Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 4 months ago

First step will be checking all the fuses. Possibility of multiple blown fuses when battery cables were swapped.

Is there a main fuse that would blow first?
Jeep Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 4 months ago

This vehicle is not equipped with a regular fuse but but has a TIPM which is a module. So there is no one fuse that gets affected first. It could all fuses will be to be checked.

Jeep Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 4 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

new tech here , Their is additional electrical damage. You could have done as little damage as blowing the main fuse 100amp or so, or there can be major damage such as destroying computer related components. This is a complex problem an you will have to have access to a computer scanner that can read live data which will require you to be familiar with engine sensors and electrical components. I do not recommend you tackle this yourself unless you have some level of automotive technical training.