Jeep

Can a 2008 Jeep Patriot be flat towed, that is, towed by…

Hello, Brad: Can a 2008 Jeep...
Hello, Brad:
Can a 2008 Jeep Patriot be flat towed, that is, towed by another vehicle using a tow strap? Can it be for a long distance? Why or why not?... Read full answer
Hello, Brad:
Can a 2008 Jeep Patriot be flat towed, that is, towed by another vehicle using a tow strap? Can it be for a long distance? Why or why not?
3/8/2018
Brad
Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!!! I'm reading your question and will post a reply soon. Thank you for your patience.

Thanks for the request!!!

Concerning recreational flat towing capability, any (MK) or (PM) model equipped with manual shift transmission can be flat towed (all wheels down) at any safe, legal speed. Models equipped with the CVT automatic transmission can not be flat towed. NOTE: For 2007 MK 1st edition Owner's Manual is not accurate and indicates no flat towing. The 2008 - 2009 (MK) 2nd and 3rd edition Owmer's Manual is correct and can be viewed at: http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/index.htmlhttp://www.dodge.com/en/owners/index.html. The printed Version and the electronic versions of both 2008 - 2009 (PM) (MK) Owner's manual is correct.

So yes since it's a manual trans you can tow it all you want...

If your not familiar with how JustAnswer works, You ask a question, I try and give you the best answer I can and then you leave a positive rating so I get credit for helping.. I strive for excellent ratings and greatly appreciate all bonuses.. Feel free to reply back as many times as needed until your issues is resolved...

Feel free to request me in the future for all your Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep needs..

Take care,

Brad

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am sorry I am not clear. Please, pardon my ignorance in these matters. If flat towing is needed, it will not be recreational. To better illustrate, please assume my 2008 Patriot (manual transmisssion) does not start. Can another vehicle flat tow the Patriot while I steer the Patriot and make turns when needed during the entire tow? I would like to know if any damage could result from this procedure.

Yes if the Patriot has a manual transmission then you can flat tow it regardless of it being recreational or broke down. Just put it in neutral and tow away. But if it has the automatic (CVT) transmission it's not recommended to be flat towed..

I hope I have answered your question,

Brad

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just for knowledge sake., what is MK and PM?

I'm sorry for not explaining.. Here at the dealership we go by body codes.. The MK is the Compass/Patriot and the PM is the Caliber...

Brad

Brad
Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am glad expert mechanics are available. Brad provides useful guidance and money saving tips. Satisfied customer here. Thank you.

Thank you for that feedback..

Glad I could help,

Brad

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Brad, if you do not mind me asking. If I ever need to replace the evaporator on this 2008 Patriot (manual transmission), how is that task fully and successfully accomplishes? I replaced an evaporator on a 2008 Chrysler P.T. Cruiser and ...honestly.... I began to abhor PT Cruisers after that because I had to disassemble the ENTIRE DASHBOARD. Is the Patriot just as complex? If so, are there any techniques or shortcut to make the repair job less challenging?

All evaporators require you to pull the dash and then remove the HVAC assembly and disassemble it.. We charge 8 hrs labor here at the dealership to replace evaporators or HVAC doors.. The trucks(RAM's) are the easiest to me as I can have have one in and out in 2 hrs... But just because Ive done so many that I know exactly where the bolts are, etc

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your previous reply. Wow. Eight hours at the dealership! That means a minimum of 72 hours for me. Is there any way to bring the dashboard out in one single piece, or would one need to take one component at a time until the dashboard is out of the way?

It's much easier to just pull the entire dash, or thats the way I do it... Its much longer to slowly disassemble the dash one part at a time...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you have the step-by-step description of how to pull the entire dashboard forward in one piece on the 2008 Jeep Patriot? For me, the evaporator replacement is a tedious and looong procedure. I knew I was doing something wrong when I replaced my former vehicle's evaporator!

Here is the info...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you once again for the support.
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Can a 2008 Jeep Patriot 2.4L, 4-cylinder engine WITH A
Can a 2008 Jeep Patriot 2.4L, 4-cylinder engine WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION be towed (FLAT TOWED) by another vehicle, that is, can the Jeep be pulled a long distance by another vehicle using a tow stra… read more
Gunvir Singh
Gunvir Singh
What would be the most challenging repair I would encounter
Brad, what would be the most challenging repair I would encounter with a 2008 Jeep Patriot (2.4L engine, manual transmission)?… read more
Brad
Brad
Jeep Dealership Tech,
I am now confused. First, a mechanic has told me that a 2008
I am now confused. First, a mechanic has told me that a 2008 JEEP Patriot with a 2.4L, 4-cylinder engine and a MANUAL transmission has a NON-interference engine. A different mechanic has stated the fo… read more
Brad
Brad
Jeep Dealership Tech,
Stop searching for answers—
The front passenger seat in my jeep patriot doesnt fold flat
the front passenger seat in my jeep patriot doesnt fold flat like in my lasy jeep patriot did … read more
Brad
Brad
Jeep Dealership Tech,
Will a 2011 Patriot CVT2 FDI trans fit in a 2008 Patriot if
Will a 2011 Patriot CVT2 FDI trans fit in a 2008 Patriot if they are both 4wd and w/o low? … read more
Brad
Brad
Jeep Dealership Tech,
ETC light flashes and traction control light stays on. This
ETC light flashes and traction control light stays on. This just happened. Previously changed throttle body and patriot ran excellent for over 500 miles before reverting back to this problem. No codes… read more
Brad
Brad
Jeep Dealership Tech,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
Grand cherokee: can a 2005 jeep grand cherokee be towed with
can a 2005 jeep grand cherokee be towed with a car dolly or towed on a flat bed long distances we plan to go to florida from n.y.… read more
william readon
william readon
NONE
patriot: Hi I have 2007 jeep Patriot. I have code C2204 ?
Hi I have 2007 jeep Patriot. I have code C2204 ? Dynamics Sensor Internal, How do I fix it thanks… read more
Brad
Brad
Jeep Dealership Tech,
Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited: Hi Brad I would like to tow my
Hi Brad I would like to tow my 2002 Grand Cherokee, 4w/d auto. trans from Charlotte, NC to Las Vegas, NV. Apparently it is too heavy (5500 lbs.) to use a rental car carrier. Next option is a tow dolly… read more
Brad
Brad
Jeep Dealership Tech,
Patriot: I recently purchased a used 2008 Jeep Patriot. The
I recently purchased a used 2008 Jeep Patriot. The vehicle has a loud, airy hiss when you hit the gas and has started giving a code P0420. I think the vehicle has a vacuum leak or air intake leak. Cou… read more
Brad
Brad
Jeep Dealership Tech,
I have a Jeep Patriot with under 5000 miles on it- This is the second long trip that I ha
I have a Jeep Patriot with under 5000 miles on it- This is the second long trip that I have taken and both times my ETC light comes on, the Jeep stalls and I have to get towed- Dealship cant find what… read more
garrtim
garrtim
SERVICE MANAGER,
2008 Patriot: same issue - esp/bas, traction control..4WD..fixing
I recently purchased a 2008 Patriot. Tomorrow it goes into the shop for the fourth time for the same issue - ESP/BAS, traction control and 4WD lights are on and do not go off. Any suggestions as to fi… read more
Brad
Brad
Jeep Dealership Tech,
Stop searching for answers—
Hi there. I have a 2008 jeep patriot 4 x 4 with freedom drive One
Hi there. I have a 2008 jeep patriot 4 x 4 with freedom drive One and a cvt automatic transmission without low range While driving slow ie in parking lots and especially when my Foot is odd the gas th… read more
Brad
Brad
Jeep Dealership Tech,
Jeep Patriot: 2.4L..70 received dashboard warnings for abs..electronic
I have 2009 2.4L Jeep Patriot. While driving distances at sustained speed of 60-70 received dashboard warnings for ABS, ESP, and electronic fuel flow issues. Stopped the vehicle. Turn off and restart … read more
garrtim
garrtim
SERVICE MANAGER,
2008 Patriot: cylinder engine..Canadian Tire told her these vehicle
My sisters just bought a 2008 Patriot with a 4 cylinder engine. she call today with a no start someone at Canadian Tire told her these vehicle have a common problem with ignition. Is that true of fals… read more
quickcar
quickcar
2011 patriot: 4x2 with automatic trans..with a tow Dolly..rear wheels
what is the problem towing a 2011 patriot 4x2 with automatic trans. with a tow Dolly. The rear wheels should be free wheeling. The manual says you cant tow on a Dolly??… read more
Mark
Mark
22 Year Factory trained technician,
2008 Jeep Wrangler X: speed manual transmission..4 wheels down..dolly
I am looking at a 2008 Jeep Wrangler X (small 2 door model) with a 6 speed 4x4 manual transmission. When I checked on the Remco tow site & it says only a 5 speed manual transmission is towable with al… read more
Shop foreman/Lead technician,
2008 jeep patriot: voltage..harness wiring..lights work..brake pedal
2008 jeep patriot 4x4 "problem" -- no trailer brake lights [no brake light voltage output at jeep flat 4-pin connector {{yellow & green pins}} "given"-- [1]-trailer is brand new - wired correctly, [2]… read more
quickcar
quickcar