Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

Do I need to replace the timing chain on a 2008 Jeep

Patriot? If so, when should...
Do I need to replace the timing chain on a 2008 Jeep Patriot? If so, when should the replacement be carried out?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

The timing chain does not need to be replaced unless it breaks, or there is a problem with the chain slapping, or a guide brakes. There is no set time that it needs to be replaced like a timing belt does.

Please, correct me if I am wrong. The 2008 Jeep Patriot 2.4L engine is an non-interference engine (BUT IF THE CAMSHAFTS ROTATE INDEPENDENTLY VALVES MAY BE BENT). With this in mind, if the timing chain were to break at some point, could you please explain in detail the potential damage the engine could sustain?

With this engine being a non interference engine if the chains do brake the valves will not hit the pistons. So if the chain does brake there should not be any damage to the engine.

If it was an interference engine then yes the valves would hit the pistons and could be bent.

this is 2008 Jeep Patriot 2.4L engine a totally free-wheeling engine????

I do not know what you mean by " free wheeling" but the valves should be bend if the timing chain jumps time or the chain brakes.

I am sorry, please, review your previous answer. Did you mean "but the valves should NOT be bent if the timing chain jumps time or the chain brakes."??????

Yes, I am sorry for the typo.

Then, just to have a final expert confirmation. The worst that can happen if the timing chain breaks is that my car will stop running. It will turn off, and to fix the problem all I will need to do is install a new timing chain and respective timing components as the car will start running again, correct? .

Yes.

kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Thank your for the well appreciated response. I believe in the United States, several mechanics call the non-interference engine a "free-wheeling" engine. I will rate your expertise at 5 stars. Thank you,Customer

You are very welcome, and thank you.