Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I’m trying to verify that a 2002 jeep 4.7 has a plate behind…

Customer Question
I’m trying to verify...

I’m trying to verify that a 2002 jeep 4.7 has a plate behind only the left secondary chain tensioner and the Right tensioner does not have a plate ?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '02 Jeep?

Grand Cherokee 2wd

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

I was hoping you could answer that question ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No not really

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Jeep
3/8/2018
Jeep Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 5 months ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

If you are replacing them, you have to see if the tentioner will sit in the middle of the guide. If it needs the shim use it.

If you are reusing the old ones, yes that is correct.

I’m asking how the motor came from the factory. Would only the left side have a plate. The purpose of the plate is not to align it with the guide it’s purpose is oil control

No. They are used to space the tentioners.

You still haven’t answered the question from the factory would only the left side have a plate?

It all depends on if they where needed on both sides or not. Some did not have any, and some had them on both sides. If yours only had the one, put it back the way it was if you are reusing then old tentioners. If you are installing new ones, use the shims as needed.

In 1988 I was Offered a job at a Winston Cup teen adult 800 motors in my life. What that gives me is the ability to spot a bullshitter from a mile away you owe me five bucks for giving me an ambiguous answer. You are not qualified to do this. Thanks for being part of the problem instead of the solution.
Rip-off

I am trying very hard to be nice here.

How do I get you to understand that they are shims used to space the tentioners as needed.

Man made parts are not always exactly the same, so shims where made to correct any problems with fitment.

Same thing applies here. The shims are only used as needed, but due to the fact the the guides, block, and tentioners may not always be the same, you have to use the shim, as needed to line up the tentioner and guide.

How many 4.7 engines have you built? I have built hundreds of them.