Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

My 97 grand cherokee got the stereo stolen out of it and now…

My 97 grand cherokee...

My 97 grand cherokee got the stereo stolen out of it and now the heater won’t work and we cannot figure it out

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuse?

Yes, all fuses are good

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

We haven’t really tried anything other than checking fuses and we are thinking the body control module might be going out since the previous owner had a problem with it dying

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

We aren’t really sure what to try since we dont know why the heater wont work after the stereo got ripped out

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Your saying that the blower motor will not come on after the stereo got stolen from the vehicle?

Correct
The whole harness was cut

Got it, was the whole harness replaced?

Or maybe I should ask, was the cut part of the harness fixed?

No
No. It is still all bare wires

Ok, well, I have a feeling that is the problem. You might want to start there first. :)

Well, how are the stereo and heater connected?

From the same power source.

Can i get a more detailed answer about the wiring?

Sure can you tell me where the harness is cut and the color wires that are cut please?

Are you able to upload some pictures?

Im trying. But everytime i try it wont let me press send

Did you upload the pics?

Im trying
The website wont work

I am very sorry, I am not sure what to tell you. It works on my end.

I can send over an offer with my phone number and you can text me the pics if that works?

Am i going to have to pay another $25?

I can send over the offer for an additional $5 bucks.

Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
What do i di mow
What do i do now

Please text me the pictures of the cut wiring harness to my phone.

I did
Would we be able to just continue through text?

Thank you. I got it. So this was right at the radio correct?

unless its costs more

What size engine do you have?

4.7

They make a 4.0 or a 5.2 liter this year.

Its is a 1997

Can I get the VIN please?

Its a 4.7 liter v8 i believe
1J4GZ78Y4VC674899

Thank you.

This is your vehicle..

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2L, V8, VIN Y, 16V, USA/Canada

Is this auto or manual air? (is the display digital)?

Its not digital
The odometer is digital
Auto or manual air?

Thank you for that information. Have you checked the fuses? Inside and under the hood? There are two fuses for this circuit.

The first one is fuse number 12 in the junction block inside the vehicle. It is a 10 amp fuse.

The second one is fuse 7 under the hood in the PDC. This is a 40 amp fuse that supplies the blower motor with power.

We have checked all of the fuses. That has been the only thing we really knew to do

If both fuses check out good, then I would recommend to go down and check for power and ground right at the blower motor itself. The red wire should have power and the black wire is the ground. The blower motor or connector may be bad preventing the blower motor from coming on and may not even be related to the radio that was stolen. It might just be a coincidence.

Ever since these wires have been cut the heater quit working

I understand.

if that doesnt work is there anything else i should try? Im only going to have limited time in a garage and i want to try to get all the tips i can get

YES, check power and ground to the blower motor with the key on and blower motor switch turned on high speed.

But no lights turn on where the heater nobs are is another question
nothing on the disay panel turns on. Used to work before the stereo was cut

The orange wire going to the radio should have voltage on it. This is the interior lights power source. Check this wire for power.

Okay. Could i get some instructions on how to fix this problem?
What wire connects to the heater?

Certainly. But you can't fix it until it is diagnosed. Because at this point, you have no idea what is broke do you? So you need to pinpoint the root cause and then fix/replace it as needed. Make sense?

Yeah. But could you give me an idea of what to do in either case?
what wire connects to the heater?
At this point im just trying to get a sense of what to do and what to try when i get to use my friends garage. I feel like I still have no clue on how to attempt to fix this problem

The list of possible causes goes on and on and I could not sit and type all of it. That is why it needs to be diagnosed. That way you have a direction to go in.

I can certainly tell you what I think is going on and what needs to be done to pinpoint the root cause.

First, check the power and ground at the blower motor like I mentioned.

Second, check for power going on that orange wire going to the radio. (or where the radio was)

This orange wire comes from the BCM. If the BCM is not able to control power on this circuit, the BCM could be bad. You could also try to disconnect the battery cables from the battery and rub them together for 5 minutes to reset the BCM as that might do the trick.

Let me know!

Also, if you know how to read a wiring diagram, I can send a wiring diagram over for you of the illumination circuit if you would like?

please
once i start this project can i hop back kn here and talk to you again or how does that work
Is there another way you would be able to send this to me?

I can text it to your phone..

Sweet. Thank you

Sent sir. :)

Im not a sir, but can i get ahold of you again if i have any more questions once im able to work on this

I am sorry about that.

YES, you certainly may.

How do i do that. Log back on here or send a text?

Just reply back to me on this page and I will get it.

Okay cool. Thank you

Your welcome.