Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

How to replace a crank seal on 2006 Jeep Liberty V6-226

How to replace a...

How to replace a crank seal on 2006 Jeep Liberty V6-226 3.7L

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Liberty yourself? What have you tried so far?

I will be doing this myself

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I wanna replace the front crank seal & oil pan gasket

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this your first time dealing with this issue? What size is your engine?

Engine is a 2006 V6-226 3.7L

3/7/2018
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

This job is not that bad of a job to do. You will need a special harmonic ballancer puller however. You have to use one for Chrysler a a standard kit will not have the correct pieces to pull it off. As far as what has to be done, you have to pull the fan shroud off and the belt. Then you have to pull the center bolt out of the ballancer and remove it. Then you can use a seal puller or a good size screw driver to pry the old seal out, then install the new seal.

The oil pan is not so bad, but you may have to lift the engine up a little to get the pan to clear the front diff. The pan gasket will not come off with the pan as the pan gasket is also a windage tray and it is bolted to the main caps. You will have to pull the oil pick up tube out to get the oil pan gasket out.

Is it necessary to remove the front timing cover to replace the front crank shaft seal?

No. You just have to pull the ballancer to get to the seal.

Is that 'balancer' under the front timing cover??

No. It is the main pulley that drives the belt. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PULL THE TIMING COVER.

roger that, & thank you!

You are very welcome.

kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech