Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty Limited. I have two error codes…

HI Pearl - I...

HI Pearl - I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty Limited. I have two error codes that have decided to appear immediately after I had a scheduled oil change. P 1596 and P 0302.

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your last oil change?

Last week. I have 180K miles on the vehicle. Consistent at having regular oil changes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Liberty yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I haven't tried anything yet but would appreciate a short list of options to consider.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That should do it.

3/7/2018
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Thank you Ron. Additional background. The only thing I have done to the vehicle in the past 10K miles is change (every 3K) the oil and had a recall issue involving the passenger airbag sensor module corrected by a Jeep dealer.

The code P0302 indicates the computer system has detected an engine misfire on the #2 cylinder usually due to a failing spark plug and in some cases a failing coil. The code P1596 indicates the cruise control switch is reading high voltage usually due to a failing cruise control switch. Have you tried the cruise control to see if it's working as it should?

No, I haven't. Since I live in Minnesota, I was planning on updating my plugs and the coils (due to age) this spring (when the it warms up).

Usually replacing the spark plug will solve the misfire code and its not a bad idea to go ahead on the coil at the same time. As long as the check engine light is not flashing then you are okay to drive it and have time to wait if needed. The cruise control will need to be tested starting with the switches.

I will test the cruise control this evening. I took a different car to work this morning.

Okay, that's a good idea. As long as the check engine light remains on steady you are okay to drive the Jeep.

OK. Thank you Ron and have a wonderful day.

Your very welcome and thank you as well. Please take a moment to rate my service at the top right hand side of the page so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician