Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I saw your answer to pull vta relay to disable factory

alarm,I have 2009 grand Cherokee,does...
I saw your answer to pull vta relay to disable factory alarm,I have 2009 grand Cherokee,does that apply if so do key fob functions to lock unlock still work
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/6/2018
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 30+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Can you post a link to the question where they described pulling the VTA relay?

Can you post the last 8 digits of the VIN and the miles on the odometer so that I can do some research on this concern for you?

Thank you,

Robert

Sorry, I'm unable to talk on the phone at this time. Most of the time, for car questions, communicating via this site is best.. Makes it easier for me to post important needed information that you can use to fix your vehicle..

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
9c535237 last 8 of vin answer about vta relay was from just answer site of how to disable alarm,my issue is when I unlockjeep alarm goes off,I can disable by turning key to on and tap alarm button under dash once then start jeep,if I DO ANYTHING OTHER TAN THAT JEEP SYSTEM won't allow start,I have to disconnect batt to reset,mileage 75000

Can you take a picture of that alarm button under the dash and post it here??

Click Here for Document Upload Instructions

I suspect that your vehicle is equipped with an AFTERMARKET alarm as a factory unit will not have a reset button under the dash...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

I also need to let you know that my responses may be delayed because I may be helping another customer, or I may be temporarily offline. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
don;t have car here right now,bought it brand new from dealer2009 alarm was already on it
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
are you still there ?

Hello, Sorry for the delayed response, was offline. Thanks for the VIN.

I have been researching your concern and now have a bit of information for you...Let me know if you are missing any info or need an explanation of anything posted here...

I ran the VIN number and it appears that your vehicle is NOT equipped with a FACTORY alarm. Your vehicle is ONLY equipped from the factory with RKE (Remote Keyless Entry) and SKIS (Sentry Key Immobilizer System) and NOT a VTS (Vehicle Theft Security) system. See the following document for your vehicle options --->> Click Here to view <<---

Because of this information, your vehicle is NOT equipped with any type of FACTORY VTA relay to be able to disable a factory alarm. Since yours in fact has a button under the dash, it leads me to believe that your vehicle was fitted with an AFTERMARKET Alarm system that was installed by the Dealer.

This type of alarm system is EASILY disabled, All you need to do is to REMOVE the aftermarket alarm system. It will be mounted somewhere under the dash and will have several wires connected to the factory wiring harness using various aftermarket wiring connectors. If you are not confident doing this yourself, I HIGHLY recommend to visit a shop that can do this for you.

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

After you remove the aftermarket alarm, the fob functions will operate as normal.

A bit of explanation on the SKIS system. This is an IMMOBILIZER system that will not allow the vehicle to start without using the correct programmed key. If this system was malfunctioning the vehicle would not start even after pressing the button under the dash and there would be a "Red Dot" light flashing or illuminated steady if there was a problem with the key or the Immobilizer. Because of this, I suspect that the aftermarket alarm is malfunctioning causing the symptoms that you have described...

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please don't hesitate to ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you!

A "One Star" or "Two Star" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

This site operates on the honor system, meaning I only get paid with a "3 Star" rating or better. Once you are satisfied with my service, please "Rate". Remember, you have already paid to use the site, all the rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time and effort. Expert Payment comes out of the fee you have paid to use the service. Leaving no rating results in the WEBSITE retaining the payment and the Expert that helped you out receives no credit. Thanks in advance for a "5 Star" Rating.

Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
best info I;ve gotten,and thanks for the options report,dealer would tell me nothing over phone,local shops don;t want to touch factory system,soon as I get a chance I will disc alarm,thanks again Robert you get a 5star rate from me.

Remember, if you need help in the future, you can always request me through >>> My Profile Page <<< (Bookmark this link and share it with your friends). Begin your question with “Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it

Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Robert

Robert R
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician