Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

Over the past two weeks, the engine in my 2002 gr. Key. My…

Over the past two...

Over the past two weeks, the engine in my 2002 gr

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

Key.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '02 Jeep?

My Grand Cherokee is the Limited edition with the 4.7L High Output v8 and automatic transmission. It has 296,000 miles. The engine quit several times over the past two weeks, but would either restart on it's own while at highway speed or could be restarted in town after shifting transmission to neutral. Yesterday drov eto friend's house for breakfast with no problems. Drove home and shut down engine in garage to change out valve cover gasket. After job finished, tried to restart car to check for oil leaks but would not start. Finally noticed sentry key system light on. Noticed when key is turned on light comes on for about three seconds then turns off. Then a few seconds later it comes back on again and engine will not start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

Have a code reader but no codes returned. However noticed the test results came back N/A as if no components were there. I am doing the work myself as i am retired and live on a fixed income.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that i can think of at the moment. Thanks!

2/21/2018
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today
Thus sounds like a problem with the PCM (engine computer )
Tell me, when you turn the key to the on position, can you hear the fuel pump in the tank come on for about two seconds and then turn off?
Not sure, will try that right quickly.
Ok
No it does not. I can normally hear that but it is not happening.
I thought so. I think the PCM died based on the description of the symptoms. Another clue is the fuel gauge may not work. Check for any blown fuses, and if there are none, then suspect the PCM and replace it.
Also SKIS light comes on for about 3 seconds, turns off about 2 seconds then comes back on and stays on.
Fuel gauge not working.
Ok, then check the fuses, if none are blown then replace the PCM.
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Thank you for the positive rating! I will leave this session open for a few days just in case you have any follow up questions.Chris