Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

Well I have a 2009 jeep liberty 3.7 v6 that hasnt moved

Well I have a...

Well I have a 2009 jeep liberty 3.7 v6 that hasnt moved since last August. I'm at the end of my wits trying to solve what is wrong with it. It was running fine and I went to back out of my driveway. Shifted from reverse to drive and it died in the middle of the street. After that trying to turn it over the entire engine rocks as if it is misfiring. But it turns over and sputters and rocks until the engine dies. I have changed the plugs, coil packs, plug wires, and now I have torn the engine down to check the timing chains and they are mint. So like I said the only thing I can come up next is fuel injectors. If you have any advice I would greatly appreciate it

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the vehicle have a carburetor?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Liberty yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I've changed the plugs and coil packs and tore it down to check the timing chains

2/21/2018
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue

didn't you scan it for fault codes prior to tearing engine down ?

what were they p0300 p0201 p0202 etc ?

for a misfire , we can have low fuel pressure , ignition , vacuum leaks ,maf sensor ,egr , low compression , timing all that ,just supersizing you tear down with out checking these things prior ?

what is mileage on it now

If you do not mind me asking are you looking for the most possible causes and taking it to a repair shop or you are repairing it yourself and you need step by step instructions
Please Let Me Know
Thank You
Chad Farhat

There is no codes going off. That's why I have been troubleshooting and going through all that I have. The mileage is 132,000 miles. I am looking for possible causes because I am doing the work myself
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

Have you run a compression test on all the cylinders yet? These engines are bad about the valve seats falling out of the head. This will cause the valves not to be able to close off correctly.

I have not that is my next step in my process.

Did you pull the valve covers off when you checked the timing chains?

No i did not i went through the front

Pull the valve covers off. If the valve seats have fallen out, the rockers will either be loose, or broken. I have even see then lifters break out of there holes.

Wouldn't it be easier to just run a compression test before actually tearing the valve valve covers off

Yes it would, but even if you have low compression the valve covers have to come off. And if you do have a rocker or two that are loose or broken, doing the comp test will not be needed.

Fair enough. I guess that's how my day begins

If a rocker has come loose, do not put it back in and try to turn the engine over. The only way for the rocker to come loose is if the valve seats have fallen out, and putting them back in and turning the engine over can just cause more damage.

Just wanted to check in on you and see how things where going?

Still no luck. Spent the week researching and back and forth to my local NAPA. Picking their brains, narrowed it down to an electric issue. New battery and alternator and cleaned the electric throttle body. Still no change, plugs are soaked in gas, exhaust is lightly smoking but stinks of gas. When I turn it over I have to hold the gas pedal to the floor and I only get 2 RPMS max. And when I let off the pedal the lights dim and the engine almost instantly dies. I've changed the plugs, tried new coil packs, and tried new plug wires. So something is causing it to not getting enough electric to spark. The only idea I have left thanks to my friends at NAPA is to check the grounds on the engine.

Did you do a compression test yet?

I did a compression test on all six cylinders and they were all inside their marks.

What was the compression for each cylinder?

I can't honestly remember the exact numbers but they were all between 195 psi and 205 psi

Can you redo the test and write the readings down please? I really need exact numbers for each cylinder.

I can but I'll have to go rent a tester again so it might take a few days.

I understand.

kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech