Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

Check gas cap light is stuck on. Well...this is only about a…

Check gas cap light...

Check gas cap light is stuck on

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the gas cap for cracks? Have you checked the fuse?

Well...this is only about a week after i had my car in the shop for another problem the timing seems too coincidental

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

2009 grand cherokee

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

More trying to gauge the seriousness of the issue and whether i should bring it to a dealership or a shop

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes...the last problem was with the a/c compressor giving out and melting some wiring and some part of the clutch the shop i took it to unplugged the compressor

2/20/2018
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved. Give me a few minutes to type up answer to you, thanks.

What was the other problem you took vehicle to shop for? This will tell me if I think it is related. Thanks.

the ac compressor burned out and melted some wiring and some part of the clutch, i have a picture of the invoice if that would be better information

I'll see the picture but based on that information I doubt the shop is responsible for gas cap message.

gas cap light and the car doesnt really seem to have any "oomph"

The gas cap message usually means gas cap is leaking/not put on tight, Evaporative System Integrity Monitor (ESIM) Assembly​ which tells vehicle if there is a leak in system, or leaking evap canister. This is not a serious problem and is only emission related. The Melting AC wiring​ most likely means the ac compressor itself is failing, pulling too much current which is causing wires to melt. Putting gas cap on loose could also cause this light to come on so I'd make sure to check that also. The compressor is kind of a expensive job so I'd recommend having a independent shop do this work as it will probably cost about half as much as the dealership should charge and neither of these repairs should be too complicated. If there is a problem with, the compressor this could also be causing the extra drag on engine which could be causing the loss of power you are describing. That invoice isn't the clearest either, price seems a bit high for just checking out electrical system and unplugging compressor so I'd probably avoid bringing it to that shop. My goal is to provide 5 star service so make sure to let me know if there is anything else I can do to help, thanks.

Dan, Technician

I also wanted to say I'd expect a repair cost of $600-$1000 depending on where you go and what the problems end up being. Let me know how it turns out or if you have questions, thanks.

the shop unplugged the compressor

I do not see any way that would be related to the check gas cap message and price they charged seems excessive for what they did if it was just unplugging compressor and updating computer. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

That sounds a little bit better, was vehicle having problems shifting before you brought it in?

there was a loud knock in the back right of the car while at highway speed and the car showed no problems until i got off the highway...when i got to a stop light the car struggled to get moving and then eventually got stuck in 4th gear (semi-auto, said 4 instead of D on display)

Thanks for update, it sounds like price is fair then. I didn't realize they had to diagnose transmission problems and fix wiring. I'd probably bring vehicle back to them since they already did some work. They might know where to look sooner and give you a little better of a deal since you were just there.

when i got out of the car there was a burning smell...i was told the ac compressor had gone out and that was the bang, when it did that it shorted out some fuses, melted some wires and caused a problem with some part of the clutch
the burning/melting had me worried that this is more than just a small gas cap sensor error and something else got melted or destroyed that they didnt catch and now theres a problem with the evap system

They were probably referring to the AC clutch which is part of compressor. Having them double check wiring and connectors related to circuit that was damaged would be a good step before assuming problem is related to gas cap/leak detection assembly. But they would be able to tell fairly easy by a few simple tests to see if wiring is good before replacing parts. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.

yeah ac clutch sounds familiar... will these few tests be expensive?

I still think the total cost is going to be $600-$1000 no matter what problem ends up being. The most expensive part will be replacing the ac compressor which is about $300 for part, $100 to install, and $100 to recharge. Then to repair wiring/connector another $200 or $200 to replace leak detection assembly if that ends up being the case.

alright thanks dan, you've been very helpful

I'm happy to help, let me know how it turns out. Thanks.