Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

A friend of mine called me last night. He has head lights…

Good morning.A friend of mine...
Good morning.A friend of mine called me last night. He has head lights and all other electrical that i on without using or turning on the ignition. But he has on response when the ignition is turned on. No wipers, heater and no response on the dashboard. Also he has no response from the starter when he tries to start the vehicle. I of course told him to check all the main fuses. He says they are all good. I told him how to check if the starter was getting juice from the ignition switch. I know diagnosing an electrical problem like this is almost impossible but.... Any help would be helpful and appreciated.The vehicle is a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 ltr. AT and ACThank youJoe
2/20/2018
Ironmike
Ironmike, ASE Master tech,.Chrysler SC Tech

greetings,

do you have a test light or multi meter? any electrical issues before the no start? how many miles and how old is the battery? any warning lights flashing or on in the instrument cluster with ignition key on?

Sometimes the contacts in the starter go bad and a shock or rap with a hammer can restore them to get a few more starts. starter would still need to be replaced, just a way to confirm the fault.

Ironmike
I really don't know what he has available. I asked if he had a test light. I'm really not sure if he would know how to use it if he did. My friend is a building engineer. In addition, I think that there is probably little hope for him to know how to use a multi-meter. I did tell him how to check the juice, in and out, at the ignition switch. Also, I should mention he lives over 60 miles from me.
I told the same thing about the connections to the starter. This is really a problem that I have to be there to advise him what's wrong or to diagnose it. That's some I'm going to leave it with him. Thank you

you are a good friend. Thanks . keep me updated with what you find.

j​ust to make sure you can also tell him to try to put the vehicle in neutral and try to start. If the trans range sensor is the issue it could confirm it. Vehicles will only start in park and neutral.

I already ruled that out because he has no warning lights on the dashboard. So that more than likely the neutral safety switch is working correctly. I've been doing this for 45 years. Electrical is the hardest thing to go do over the phone.

y​es.