Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I have a 2012 Grand Cherokee Altitude without paddle

I have a 2012...

I have a 2012 Grand Cherokee Altitude without paddle shifters. I want to swap out the steering wheel for one with Paddle Shifters. I found a 2017 Grand Cherokee Steering Wheel with shifters. Will this modification work

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the vehicle have a fuse that enables or disables the shifter?

Not sure

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

I purchased a 2017 steering wheel and watched a few videos and see the airbag setup is a different model. haven't started yet

2/18/2018
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

I haven't seen anyone attempt to do this but with the correct parts and procedures it should work. You'll need the correct steering wheel with steering wheel wiring harness for a 2012. The parts will need to be installed, a dealer is going to need to add the sales codes for the paddle shifters and then update the build configuration on the vehicle with Witech. I would not recommend installing the other steering wheel with the incorrect airbag for the vehicle.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

I’m planning on purchasing a new airbag since my current airbag will not work on the 2017. Do you feel the wiring harness on the 2017 wheel will not work with my 2017 They all look similar.

If the vehicle is a 2012 then you need parts from a 2012.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician