Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I have 2012 Jeep Compass and problem is that windows are…

Hi Pearl, I have...

Hi Pearl, I have 2012 Jeep Compass and problem is that windows are fogging up. Looks like that no fesh air is coming in. I already checked airfilter (actually removed it) and no help. Ideas what to do next?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do the vents feel cold? Is there a coolant leak?

No, I can adjust the temperature; when higher temperature --> more fogging up.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Compass yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yep. I have cleaned the small cabin on the engine side, where air supposed to come in, there were little leaves and also removed the air filter.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I will check first if there is any leakage. Thanks for your advice. Br Jussi from Finland

hi, pls answer to my email:***@******.***
I couldd found any leakage.
sorry typo, I couldnt found any leakage, everything looks dry, no wet places.
all device controls of ventilation looks working ok, I mean temperature, AC on/off (at least the small light will be on when switching on), ventilation controls for front window, side windows and down to legs. When the fan motor is full and all air to front screen, then the fan can just barely remove the moisture on the windows.
2/11/2018
Pete, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

There are a couple of items that can cause this fault.First, if you are losing any engine coolant/anti freeze this can cause this issue due to a heater core leak which would fog up the windows and cause a sweet type smell as well in your vehicle.

If there is no loss of engine coolant and no smell issue then this issue can be caused by the recirculation actuator at fault.This actuator opens and closes the fresh air inlet.If it is stuck to where it is sucking in interior cabin air it pulls moisture from the carpet area and fogs up the windows.The recirculation actuator would need to be checked/tested to see if it needs to be replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Hi Pete, thanks for your kind reply. I think there isnt any smell of coolant/anti freeze. So maybe its the actuator in JEEP Compass 2012, where that one is located? is it easy to test?
br
Jussi

You're welcome

It is located on the passenger side of the heater box mounted to the heater box as shown below.It is usually up high on the heater box near where the fresh air inlet is located but inside the vehicle under the dash.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ogpm6cqwxh79rjx/recirc-02-11.png?dl=0

I don't show a test procedure myself for this one but in some cases, you can tap on it and if it starts working again or tries to work then it needs to be replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician
hi Pete, my car was in the service, and I asked them to check the actuator, and the service guy checked that one and told its working (at least he felt by his finger that something was moving inside that part, so he guessed it must be working). Anyway, I have still same problem; windows fogging up, and AC was checked (ok), any other ideas? do you have a drawing about the complete system (ventilation, air condition, etc).
Strange is that if there is temp below -5C, windows are very foggy when sitting in the car and I have to keep the airblower in full speed to see something. On the otherhand, when I step up from the car, the humidity on the windows goes off pretty quickly, within 30minutes. Carpets of car are pretty dry.br
jussi from Finland

Has the heater core been checked to see if it is leaking at all?