Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I am having electrical problems out the ... on the initial…

Customer Question
I am having electrical...

I am having electrical problems out the butt... on the initial start of the vehicle it starts and runs great. However, after a while, the entire panel will light-up, gas gauge goes empty, windows will NOT go up or down and AC unit stops cooling.. Please help. I am located in Hawaii and NONE of the dealers have been successful with this problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Engine light, seat belt light, air bag - every light gauge in the panel.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, trying to cut cost by fixing myself. Tried taking off the negative battery post, waiting several mins and re-connecting. This resets the computer. However, problem comes back. I appreciate any help you can give. It was suggested to change the PCM module but there is NO jeep dealer on this private island.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Jeep
2/6/2018
Jeep Mechanic: Amedee, Jeep Technician replied 5 months ago
Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Is the check engine light on?

Are there any codes in the computer?

Have you checked all of the fuses?

Are you looking for some possible causes?

No check engine light, fuses are all good, NO computer codes, checked for broken wires at both doors, fuse box as well.

Thank you for that information.

believe there is actually a TSB about this problem. It talks about removing remove the cluster and inspect the Chrysler Collision Detection (CCD) bus circuit terminals. Look for darkened lines or darkened marks on the male pins of the cluster. If signs are seen then perform TSB # 08-15-99. The Instrument Cluster Connector oxidizes and creates a poor connection causing intermittent loss of the cluster operation. Depending on what you find, you may need to replace the instrument cluster or the connector going into the cluster.

If that does not seem to be an issue, then either the instrument cluster itself is bad or another module on the BUS system is shorting out causing this problem. This is very common on these vehicles. Any module on the BUS system can short out causing this type of problem. Here is a list of potential causes.

Air Bag Control Module
Instrument Cluster
Instrument Cluster Wiring
Overhead Console
Powertrain Control Module
Remote Key less Entry Module
Sentry Key Immobilizer Module
Transmission Control Module

I am glad I can help! My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Hello there!

I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?

If so, please let me know as I will be happy to help.

Best Regards,

Customer/p>