Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

Jeep liberty 2006 started making clunking sounds for a few…

Hi, jeep liberty 2006...

Hi, jeep liberty 2006 started making clunking sounds for a few days, now won't go forward in drive but will go back in reverse.

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Honestly, I thought the oise was coming from the right front wheel, but I jacked up bother front wheels and they turn freely.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Liberty yourself? What have you tried so far?

Noise went on for about two weeks, but got really bad just before failure.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I jacked up rear wheels in drive the wheels turn freely, even at 1200 rpm

1/23/2018
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

Ok, thanks

That noise was a clue/warning that something was going wrong.

Here’s the sequence of events I follow:
Check fluid level and color. Make appropriate repairs.
Check shift solenoids with a scan tool in bidirectional mode if
applicable. Shift solenoids are inside the transmission and
this is the easiest way to check them.
Drop pan and inspect for excessive metal shavings inside
pan. Check valve body and clutches visually.
Hopefully you may not have to go this far, maybe you just
were a bit low on fluid.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Did you have any more questions for me at this time?

Thanks again, Ron

rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
No, will try the suggestions. Already took cover off differential box and all looks good there. I should have known since it can be pushed forward in neutral ok.
I think I will sign up for free trial, even at $26, a month it beats Netflix.

Yep, sure does. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks again, Ron