Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I have a 2002 jeep wrangler, have been back and forth with a…

I have a 2002...

I have a 2002 jeep wrangler

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Wrangler yourself? What have you tried so far?

Have been back and forth with a mechanic

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

So this is just that easy ?

1/21/2018
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, what is your question on your 02 Wrangler and what is the engine size?

its a 4 cylinder. we it just keeps cutting out once it moves into gear. neutral and park it will idle fine but once it move into gear it starts then cuts out. i do notice however that when it is in gear, and i have the break pressed, as soon as it starts to stutter and cut out i can give it gas with the break press and it comes back to life but as soon as it gets no gas it cuts out.the mechanic has done this:
1) changed the radiator
2) changed the thermostat
3)replaced hoses
4) changed idler

HI,

Ok, does it do this in reverse as well?

Is the check engine light on?

seems to happen in reverse as well...check engine light has been on for some time even before this issue :/ but yes it is on.apparently the mechanic checked the computer and it indicated the idler bad which is why it was replaced. i didn't have first hand dealing with the mechanic as it is my moms jeep and im trying to help her cuz its her only transportation to work.

HI,

Ok, if you have the Wrangler with you right now and it has a digital odometer, do the following -

Within 5 seconds, turn the key in the ignition on-off-on-off-on, leaving it in the on position(on position is position just before cranking). Look at the odometer and current fault codes should scroll across. Let me know what they are.

If you dont have the Jeep with you let me know and I will go thru the probable causes with you

And, I need to know if it idles smoothly in park

ok 2 codes:P 0443
P 0320well smooth is relative term (not as smoothly as my toyota tacoma :) ) so i'm not sure if i idles "smoothly" in park but it does not in my observation cut out when in park or neutral. and my mom reports that it does not happen in park or neutral.

Ok, give me about 5 minutes with both these codes

HI,

P0320-NO CRANK REFERENCE SIGNAL AT PCM

WHEN MONITORED
With the ignition ON.

SET CONDITION
No signal from the Crankshaft Position Sensor is present during engine cranking, and at least 3 Camshaft Position Sensor signals have occurred.

SYMPTOM
P0443-EVAP PURGE SOLENOID CIRCUIT

WHEN MONITORED
At ignition key on and battery voltage greater than 10.4 Volts, during initialization or power-up.

SET CONDITION
Not powering down, not in limp-in and time since last solenoid activation is greater than 72 micro seconds. The PCM will set a trouble code if the actual state of the solenoid does not match the intended state on two consecutive key cycles.

Both the wiring for the cam and crank sensors need to be checked for breaks, cuts, brittleness and repaired as needed. If ok, replace both cam and crank sensors. Cam sensor is in the distributor and crank sensor is at top left of transmission bellhousing- see attached. Both of these will cause the current symptoms.

The evap purge solenoid, located near the brake master cylinder and booster- see attached - will need to be replaced for the P0443 code

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate pop up rating page. Thank you

are you able to provide the exact part numbers to be replace or links to them on rockauto.com or similar?

Purge solenoid valve -(###) ###-####B

Crank position sensor - 56027865AB

Cam sensor - 56041030

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required ratingPlease remember to rate service using the separate pop up rating page. Thank you
awesome thank you. you said said:"Both the wiring for the cam and crank sensors need to be checked for breaks, cuts, brittleness and repaired as needed"if it turns out the wiring itself is suspect, and we refresh that before targeting replacement of teh cam and crank sensors themselves, is there are specific part number(s) for the wiring kits for these or would the mechanic be able to get the wiring from a hardware store?

HI,

Unless the wiring is broken right at a connector where a repair is not possible, I just cut the bad section out and use solder gun and heat shrink to splice wire together.

If it is at a connector, then you replace the part itself or go to a junkyard and cut a connector off the harness and splice into harness. The pigtails were discontinued in 2012 for this vehicle so there is no option for buying just a connector pigtail

much appreciated. i really hope this solves her problem. will let you know. thank you.

you are welcome

oh one last thing, i am pretty handy and have tools. do you think i could replace these parts or better left to a mechanic? figured if it was an easy procedure could save some money but if its a more advanced thing ill just have the mechanic follow your instructions

HI,

They are fairly easy to replace and you can replace yourself.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
I have just replaced the crank sensor and it seems to be the wrong part number that was provided. 56027865AB.The number on the existing sensor is 56041819AA. The new one is slightly different and slightly too big.I do notice whoever that the existing sensor is caked in oil and the whole areas seems to be caked in engine oil. I can see what the sensor makes contact with on the bell housing but could the oil sludge be causing issues with the sensor?So at this point I have the wrong replacement part and I am thinking that may be if sensor itself and where it makes contact was wiped clean of oil that could solve the problem maybe?
meant to say i CANNOT see what the sensor makes contact with

Very possible that is the issue. Any grime, grease or oil on the sensor end or sides will affect not only its ability to read the tone wheel on the flywheel, but can also cause bad readings.

Use either Seafoam or a non-chlorinated brake cleaner to clean the sensor and clean around the hole and sides of the hole the sensor seats into.

ok i will try. if not then am i splicing the old connector to the new sensor as a next step?
will a little dawn in water suffice to clean it?

HI,

The Dawn with warm water will work. Just make sure to rinse good with water to get all residue off.

Correct on next step

hi,

Did you mean to post your last post as it is a duplicate of your earlier post this morning

im on a while goose chase here.spliced old harness onto new sensor, engine is cranking but never starts.spliced old harness back onto old sensor, engine starts and still same problem cutting out in gear.in both cases, engine is throwing a P0320 code ONLY now. don't see the other code anymore...is my new sensor bad? incompatible part number?whats the next step here?

HI,

With new sensor in, when you crank the engine over, does the tachometer have a signal and the tach needle moving as you crank it

Gonna have to get back to you tomorrow she had to take the jeep Home.If the tachometer does behave that way then what? If it doesn’t then what?If you can tell me all the things to try and I can try them all and tell you the outcome while the sensor is loose and I can switch between the old and new as it’s a real pain to tighten and untighten thanks.

HI,

If you have tach signal, which comes from the crank sensor, then it should be good.

Have you replaced the cam sensor in the distributor yet? If getting tach signal, then I would go ahead and replace the cam sensor if you havent.

If no tach signal, then still an issue with the crank sensor

ok jeep is here going to put the other sensor on now and check
no tach signal. all gauges move except tach and speed.still waiting for the other 2 parts numbers you provided to arrive...
another bit of info...see attached photo, our jeep does not have that plastic/rubber gasket thing that the arrow is pointing to its just one big hole. does that matter? actually, when i took the old one off for the first there was a piece plastic that came off with it but it looked broken perhaps that was a piece of it. not sure if that matters.
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager