Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I have a 2002 grand cherokee overland that just died on the…

I have a 2002...

I have a 2002 grand cherokee overland that just died on the road. Just turns over but will not start. The gauges don't work and there is a key with an x over it on the cluster. replaced cam and crank sensor to no avail. prior to replacement of the sensors it may crank and run , but then would cut off again and not start again for days. I am stumped.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the vehicle stall at low speeds? Does it sputter?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tested the fuel pump and changed the crank and cam sensors. Fuel pump works but is not getting power when it doesn't start.

1/21/2018
Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

Your saying the gauges dont work with the key on?

Have you checked for codes in the computer?

Does the engine have spark while cranking?

no codes and not sure about spark
Sounds good thank you for that information. I would recommend a start by checking for codes in the computer and checking all the fuses on board the vehicle both inside the cab and under the hood. Please do this when you have time and reply back and let me know the results. Thank you very much
I have already check for codes. There are none. I have checked all fuses and relays inside and out.

Thank you for that information. If all fuses are good and there are no codes in the computer, this condition is likely caused by a faulty module on board the vehicle. It could be any module on board the vehicle, but based on my experience, the most likely module to go bad causing this condition is a faulty PCM.

I am glad I can help! My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician