Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I have a 2017 wrangler unlimited and My Sony car stereo

I have a 2017...

I have a 2017 wrangler unlimited and My Sony car stereo won’t turn off when key is removed from ignition. The stereo does not have a power button. Sony has said that I can either open and close the rear gate (which doesn’t work) or adjust the power setting of the Jeep. I’ve tried using the steering wheel controls and adjusting everything to shut off when the key is removed but stereo remains on. Suggestions?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the car's service manual? Does the car have airbags?

Yes airbags and I do have the manual

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Wrangler Unlimited yourself? What have you tried so far?

Myself. See my note above about attempts to fix

Answered in 1 hour by:
1/20/2018
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started! Was this just installed and is now having problems? Did it ever work correctly?

Worked this way since installed(the aftermarket stereo)d. Spoke to a Sony Manufacturer’s rep who suggested the rear door or power settings solution. The rear door suggestion doesn’t work and I’m not sure the power setting suggestion works either. I just changed the “key-off power delay setting to off and it didn’t work.

What did the installer say about everything?

I’m not too happy with the installer in that he did not tell me about this. He may have thought that I was not going to take the doors off that often. When I contact Sony they confirmed there was no way on the stereo itself to turn off the unit.

it should be as simple as moving some wires around on the rear harness, do you have the model number for that and pictures of the harness connections now? I should be able to spot what needs to be changed

I do not. But if we are to that point, I’m going to take it to someone to do that. I’ll first try the person that installed it. Thak you for looking into it. Btw. How much did this cost me?

it should be 24$ for everything

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. I would like to receive nothing less than a 5 star rating. If you feel we aren’t there yet please let me know or respond more so we can get the answer you feel is correct. You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you. Negative ratings do not result in a refund so If you’re not satisfied with the work we have done so far please respond more and let’s get your question figured out. Thanks Shawn!

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Thanks for the great rating, let me know if you have any follow up questions when you take it in, it will be covered under the original 24$