Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

Went out and started my Jeep Liberty, to warm it up, and it…

Went out and started...

Went out and started my Jeep Liberty, to warm it up, and it started fine. But when I came it there is a loud internittent tap under the intake. The check engine light also came on. I shut it off. Not sure what to do now.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Liberty?

2005 3.7 L

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Liberty yourself? What have you tried so far?

If I can. I haven't tried anything yet. Except finding out where the noise was. If you look closely you can visibly see the intake jump when the tap occurs.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of. I have tried a bit of research on line, and the lash adjuster, rocker arm issue keeps popping up. But, the noise I am hearing doesn't seem to be the same as mine.

1/20/2018
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

The 3.7 has known problems with rocker arms coming loose and that may very well be what you have going on here. What you need to do first is scan the computer to see what the fault code is that set when the light came on. Can you get this done and post back with it?

I don't have a scanner, and the nearest AutoZone is 15 miles away and I am very concerned about driving it.
Could the tap I hear be a backfire?
I have a video if that will help?

I would not drive it with this noise as it could cause further damage. Unfortunately, in order to get some idea where to start, we need to know the fault code. If in fact, a rocker has come off then yes it's very likely a backfire your hearing. Post a link to your video and Ill have a look at it for you.

I am trying to create a link for the video.

Okay , Im here when you ready. You can load it to YouTube and send me the link.

https://youtu.be/NKUWc-CiqFs

Okay, I got it, after viewing the video this sure does sound like you have a rocker arm off and it is backfiring as well. If you can run a scan it would tell you which cylinder is misfiring so you would know which valve cover to remove. Without a scan, the other thing you could do to isolate the cylinder would be to unplug one coil at a time looking for no change in the engine RPM and that would be the cylinder dropping out on you. Once you know which side of the engine is missing then pull that valve cover and inspect the spring, I suspect you have one broken and that will cause the rocker to pop off. Because it backfiring through the intake it very likely its going to be an intake valve spring as well.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Thank you. Your input was very helpful.