Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

I have a 1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo and I just filled the…

I have a 1992 Jeep...
I have a 1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo and I just filled the fuel tank. When I went to start it it wouldn't turn over. When it did it drove fine. When I got home and turned it off I tryed starting it again and it cranked but didn't start. The spark plugs do you need to be changed but I don't think that has to do with it not even turning over at the gas station. What do you think. Thank you
1/20/2018
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I would first check the fuel pressure upon start up first. The fuel pump maybe starting to fail. If the fuel pressure is sound, then I would proceed to inspect the ignition system beginning with the coil. Here, I am attaching testing information for a hard start issue, including information for fuel pressure testing and ignition spark testing. I am suspecting that the fuel pump maybe beginning to fail.

The distributor cap and rotor should also be inspect, but you would also likely be running rough.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thanks. I'll check all that out one I get a bit of daylight down here. Is there any possibility it could be a nss, starter or ignition switch problem?

If the vehicle is cranking good, but just having a hard start, then I would not suspect the starting circuits. If the vehicle start seems to drag, the yes, I would suspect and inspect these components, starting with the connections.

If this is the case, then the starter itself would be the most probable cause.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
It started up fine before I left and didn't crank at the gas station for a bit and then turned over but didn't start when I got home. Any reason why it wouldn't turn at all with thoes symptoms or is there a weird xj jeep thing I don't know about?

When you say 'didn't crank', do you mean that when you turned the key, nothing happened?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
All the electronics worked (headlights, radio etc) but it didn't turn over for about a minuite or so of trying.

Thank you for that information. Question, when it did turn over, it started right up?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Yup. Fired right up. When it starts it starts perefctly.

That's great. scratch EVERYTHING that was previously suspected. You issue is going to be in the starting circuits for sure. When you turned the key, did you notice any clicking?

The issue is more than likely the starter, but could also be the ignition switch.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Not that I can recall but I wasn't really listening for it.

I understand. What you need to do is have the starter and the ignition switch circuits inspected. Here, I am attaching general testing information that is available for this issue. Although, then next time this happens, you can check for power at the signal wire on the starter when the key is turned. If this is power there, then you will need to replace the starter. You can also remove the starter and have it tested.

Here, I am attaching the electrical diagram of the circuits to give you a better idea.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Awesome. Start trouble shooting in a bit and message back with any more questions

.

Sounds good. Although, the issue may need to be present to get the correct results.

If you need me I'm here. Also, please do not forget to rate the service. Thanks again.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
i changed changed my spark plugs, wires and started. It turned over but no dice. I double checked and triple checked every thing for 2 hours. Finally i gave it a little gas and it fired right up. Fuel delovery problem? It's not running rough except for one time with the RPMs dipped a little bit. I drove it around and it's driving better than it was. Most likely due to the new spark plugs.

I would suspect that the fuel pump is weak. What you need to do is have the fuel pressure tested upon start up on a cold engine and a warm engine to be certain of the cause.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Ok. I'll do that. I hear the fuel pump turn on though.

I understand. Just because the pump turn on does not mean it's delivering the proper pressure.

Just as a reminder, please, do not forget to rate the service, as it is necessary in order for experts to receive credit for information provided. Thanks again.

Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician
Todd M
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician