Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I have a 2015 Jeep Renegade. The check engine light is on…

Hi. I have a 2015...
Hi. I have a 2015 Jeep Renegade. The check engine light is on and it is a P0128 code (thermostat). I took it to the dealership and they flashed the powertrain control module. the light came back on 3 days later. They're now telling me a need a new thermostat and it costs $700. Is this a reasonable price for this service? I am willing to do it but since this is a $60 part (at most), I am wondering why it costs so much.
1/19/2018
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

Hello and welcome to just answer. I am a shop foreman at a Jeep dealer and I guarantee It is the thermostat. The reason it costs so much is it is because it is a tough one to replace. I can send you the procedure on replacing it so you can see what is involved if you wish. Please let me know.

Chris

I would really like to see the procedure. I have been looking online for this and haven't been able to find it. I would feel much better seeing that its really complicated! Thank you very much.

My pleasure! Give me a few minutes to get that together for you. I will be back asap.

Chris

awesome! Thank you!

You are welcome! Click on the link below to see the information. It will open up in a Word document. You can then print it out if you wish.

Chris

I hope this information/answer is helpful, and if so would you please help me and rate my service using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!
You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you!

Chris

Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

Thank you!!

Chris

This is awesome, thank you. Just a couple follow up questions... to confirm, these instructions are specific to the Jeep Renegade? If having the dealership replace the thermostat doesn't work, is there something else that might be causing the issue? Is this a normal issue to have at 40k miles?

You are welcome! Those instructions are specific to the Renegade, and we have seen these thermostats fail around that mileage on any of our vehicles with the 2.4 Multi Air. The only 2 things we see causing that code are the software update and the thermostat. So after the thermostat is replaced, I am 99.9% this will fix it.

Chris

Thank you, ***** ***** really appreciate it. I have an appointment to have the thermostat replaced in 2 weeks. It seems to be stuck open as the engine isn't overheating or anything (in fact, it seems to be running very cool). Will the vehicle be ok to drive for 2 weeks until the appointment or should I stop driving it until then?
You are welcome! It will be just fine to drive. The check engine light will come on again, but that is because it is running too cold. Thank you again for using just answer!Chris