Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

The cam shaft component is bad, 2011 Grand Cherokee, Took it…

The cam shaft component...

The cam shaft component is bad

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

2011 Grand Cherokee

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

Took it to a new mechanic who wants me to replace the entire engine -

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

About 73k miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

1/18/2018
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started! So what exactly happened with the cam shaft? was there a lot of damage from it ? how did it go bad?

When accelerating the truck seemed to hesitate, it almost felt like driving over a rough street. I pulled over, turned it off then restarted the truck. No problem and no engine light on the dashboard. That was a couple of weeks ago. Last week it happened again but this time the check engine light did come on and stay on, but it also felt like it would die so I dropped it off at a local mechanic. He told me for some strange reason the cam shaft was misfiring and to fix it I would need to replace the entire engine...

that sounds very weird and I dont think that guy knows what hes doing, did you happens to get the codes? is this a v6?

It's a 5.7L, I didn't get the code but I can certainly call back and get it if possible.

I would get the codes and ask him to send you a detailed Email on how and why it failed and why it needs replacement and if you can copy and paste that here I think we can get this figured out

Sure, I think they're closed now is it a problem for me to get it to you tomorrow?

oh yes you can log back on at anytime for days and days to come and it will be at the original fee, no extra charge

And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your automotive question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. Rating me now does not close your question and if you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too! Also if you would like further assistance in the future you can favorite me as well.
Assuring you the best services!
Kind Regards!
Shawn ASE Technician

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
Just talked to the mechanic, he's getting this information for me tomorrow morning. Thank you, ***** ***** better about the whole situation now that I have guidance from you.

very good im glad you do and your in good hands, also thanks for the great rating! feel free to post as soon as you get the information ill be on after 12 tomorrow and send a reply

Hi - here's what the mechanic sent:
JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THAT THE CODE THAT IS STORED IN YOUR CARS COMPUTER IS A P0303. THIS INDICATES THAT THE #3 CYLINDER IS MISFIRING. UPON INVESTIGATION WE FOUND THAT THE CAMSHAFT LOBE FOR THE #3 CYLINDER INTAKE VALVE HAS BEEN WORN DOWN CAUSING THE VALVE NOT TO OPEN PROPERLY. IN RETURN THIS HAS CONTAMINATED THE OIL WITH SMALL METAL SHAVINGS. THIS IS THE REASON WE HAVE DETERMINED THAT THE BEST RESOLUTION TO YOUR ISSUE WOULD BE TO REPLACE YOUR ENGINE.

oh wow thats a pretty good explanation, though a engine is a ton of money, I know it would probably be about another 200$ between the towing and diagnosis, but I would get a 2nd opinion on that from a certified master tech preferably at the dealer

Thank you for the response. We're taking the Jeep over to the dealership for a 2nd opinion.

ok good let me know what they say,

Thank you!!

fingers crossed its not that

I'm waiting for the dealership to call with their findings...

oh wow that was fast, sounds good ill be around

The dealership found a bad ignition coil and a spark plug that was bad. So they recommended replacing all 16 plugs (5.7L Hemi ) and fuel induction. But it's still misfiring, so now they're thinking it's a problem with a cam... I should know more tomorrow.

if it is the cam you shouldnt have to pay for there misdiagnosis

The dealership says 1 lifter failed causing damage to the cam shaft. They're checking with the warranty co for an engine replacement or repairs. What do you think?

I have heard about these, never seen them, but that does sound correct and hopefully they can get it replaced under warranty. Its always good to get a 2nd opinion on these and im glad you did, I hope it all works out for the best

Thank you for your help!

your very welcome, and remember ill still be here if you run into any snags, I know this super stressful and im sorry its had failed in that way, but its my goal to get you the best help I can with the least stress.

It is less stressful with you on my side!

Im glad I could provide that for you, peace of mind is good.

Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician