Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

It won’t start after sitting all night. The sun roof stopped…

Customer Question
It won’t start after...

It won’t start after sitting all night. The sun roof stopped opening and the passenger window has never worked right from the main (driver’s) control. I replaced battery and all was ok except the sun roof stopped again, and about 5 days later after sitting more than 12 hours it wouldnt start again. No one can find what’s sucking the battery power. Mechanic checked fuses (2 fuse boxes-he may not know about).

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the manual yet? Most vehicles have two fuse panels.

It’s a Hemi engine.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '12 Jeep?

It’s a 2009 grand Cherokee.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

I got a new key fob recently also.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Oh, and the horn doesn’t beep when I remotely lock it up anymore. It did before.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Jeep
1/19/2018
Jeep Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

If the battery dies while the vehicle is at rest yet the battery load tests good then there is a component drawing current when it should not be. Any component which receives a direct battery feed can cause a draw. The problem could literally be dozens of things and it will require some testing to determine the cause. It could be a light coming on or staying on (such as the glovebox light), a module staying awake, an aftermarket radio or amplifier, and the alternator can fail and cause a draw.

What needs to be done is an ignition off draw test. An ammeter will need to be set up between a disconnected battery cable and it's post. If the draw exceeds 40mA then there is cause for concern. At that point fuses would either be removed one at a time or voltage drop across fuses checked to see what circuit current is flowing on, and then components on that circuit can be concentrated on.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.