Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

I have a 2012 Jeep Liberty my dashboard says my car is in…

I have a 2012 Jeep...
I have a 2012 Jeep Liberty my dashboard says my car is in neutral but my shifter is in park. I just replaced my totally inter grated power module. Every since I replaced it I’ve been having this problem can not move shifter at all.
1/18/2018
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Do the brake lights work when applied?

Will the emergency brake shift interlock release allow you to move the shifter?

Will it start?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
but you nice i move the shifter it does not move the car . The car still remains neutral
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Once

So you can shift to every single gear and none will move the vehicle?

Once shifted back to park does it roll?

Does the shifter seem to move to easy?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no , yes I can shift it I mess with the reset button.

I believe in your case the issue here is going to be the shift cable has popped off at the shifter or at the transmission. Another possible cause which is less likely would be the range sensor also called the P/N switch which tells the computer the gear you have selected.

I recommend first off watching the linkage where it connects to the transmission and see if it moves when another moves the shifter.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What is a p/n switch where is it located?

What is a p/n switch

"range sensor also called the P/N switch which tells the computer the gear you have selected."

where is it located?

The Transmission Range Sensor is mounted to the top of the valve body inside the transmission and can only be serviced by removing the valve body assembly.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is both of them a easy fix

Shift linkage concerns yes, TR sensor not so much.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if the linkage is off under the car that can cause the dash to say it’s in neutral

Yes, that is possible because the dash gets its signal from the TR sensor and if the TR sensor is not seeing movement from the shift linkage then the sensor reading will not change.

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician