Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I am out of state and have a broken torsion bar, is this…

Customer Question
I am out of...

I am out of state and have a broken torsion bar, is this dangerous for me to drive home?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

2009 Jeep Wrangler sahara

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Wrangler yourself? What have you tried so far?

No will take it to shop, do I need to do it prior to my return or can it wait until I get home

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No I think that is it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Jeep
1/16/2018
Jeep Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Service Technician replied 4 months ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

I would have it repaired prior to your return if at all possible. This is the main front suspension component and it's going to cause a big issue with handling and with bumps. So it's really better to have a new bar put in before driving any long distances. If you've only got like 10 miles it's one thing, if it's 100 miles, don't risk it.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me.
Thank you so much!

It is about 500 miles, is it a safety issue or just involving handling?

Wel, it could become a safety issue if the tire starts rubbing, but handling is also a safety issue at higher speeds. I imagine that side of the jeep is sitting pretty low. Bumps can drive the tire up into the fender.

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician