Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I have an 87 that just stopped running, it started up again…

Customer Question
I have an 87...

I have an 87 that just stopped running, it started up again after I came home but was not smooth. Bucking, then stalled. When I pull the ignition coil wire I only see a spark after I quit cranking.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Yes, pulled terminals, cleaned and re-installed

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '87 Jeep?

Wrangler

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Wrangler yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, checked voltage at coil, run position is 6 volts, cranking I only see 8+ volts

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I am getting fuel but no spark while cranking

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Jeep
1/16/2018
Jeep Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 4 months ago
Pete, Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Since you only see spark when you quit cranking this can be a fault with the electronic ignition switch.The contacts can fail in this switch and will cause no spark and then as you roll back from cranking the contacts may reconnect in the ignition switch causing this issue here.I have seen this as a cause for this type of fault here in the past and had to replace the electronic ignition switch itself.This will need to be tested further to see if for sure this is the cause of it needing to be replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

I have thought about the ignition switch, what steps do I need to take to make sure this is the problem before purchasing the part? When I check the wires at the ignition coil i get 6+volts when key is in the run position and only 8+ volts while cranking.

Can you tell me if this is the 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder engine?

This is the carburated 4.2l , standard transmission.

I am not sure if you can read wiring diagrams but I will post the diagram info below.You want to test the power out signals at the switch with a multi meter.You need 12 volts out on the wires coming out of the switch with the key in the indicated position in the diagrams.If you are missing 12-volt signals on any of these wires in the key indicated positions or if it is low voltage then the switch needs replaced.If you cannot read the diagrams let me know.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ijif93jabdkrgz6/i-01-16.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pmf5j6fuig3jlcc/ig-01-16.png?dl=0

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Thanks but these are too small and when I blow them up they are un-readable.

I apologize for that.Let me try this again.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ds3fc2ukhjlqad6/j-01-15.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oqzber1t85yknbo/je-01-16.pdf?dl=0

Thanks Pete

On my way home, will update after I run checks

O.k., let me know what you come up with here when you're ready.

Thanks Pete

Everything seemed to check out, I ordered an HEI and new wires. Hopefully I get this installed tonight and it takes care of my problem.
Pete, Technician