Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

The security light is on dash, keys wont automatically lock…

Customer Question
The security light is...

The security light is on dash, keys wont automatically lock or unlock, and it wont start - 2015 Jeep Patriot

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

The fuses in the lock on the keys? It was fine - started for a friend who took less than a mile to 7/11 - now wont start. Something to do with the security - light is on on dash

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Patriot yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, hoping to try and fix it myself. Checked battery which is fine. Tried using factory key to lock/unlock on driver side, then passenger side, then tail gate. Nothing. Husband reading manual, but not very helpful

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that's it?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Jeep
1/9/2018
Jeep Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

If the S***** *****ght is on solid and you've also lost keyless entry then the wireless control module isn't functioning. It may be electrically locked up, it may have failed, there may be a loss of power or ground to it or a bus communication problem. Most likely the module will need to be replaced.

Try a battery disconnect and see if that helps. They will sometimes lock up and work again at least temporarily with a power cycle.

If that doesn't help then some deeper testing will need to be done, but it's likely that the WCM will need to be replaced.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.