Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

The starter is making a single click, but wont start. From…

Customer Question
The starter is making...

The starter is making a single click, but wont start

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

From the starter, and since this morning.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

2005 grand cherokee 3.7L v6

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, Ive tried jumping it, replacing the starter relay, and fuse

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The shift interlock module had a piece break last night, it was making me unable to move the shifter, i pulled the broken piece out and still had the car running so i made sure it still went into gear and it did. I am able to take the jeep out of park with the key in the on position without the brake pedal pressed, but cannot do this when the key is in the off position.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Jeep
1/7/2018
Jeep Mechanic: Mark, 22 Year Factory trained technician replied 7 months ago
Mark
Mark, 22 Year Factory trained technician

Welcome to Just Answer my name is Mark.

When the starter makes a single click it is a sign that the contacts in the starter solenoid are worn to the point that they no longer make proper contact to allow the motor portion to spin. The fix for this will be a new starter.

I hope that helps, let me know if you need anything further, thanks.

I’m pretty sure the shift interlock module is the problem. The belt on it was broken and I’m pretty sure it thought it was in drive now allowing it to start. I’m going to install a new interlock module now and let you know

Sounds good. Let me know if you need anything further.