Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

Just got off work and my 2010 Jeep patriot malfunctioned. I…

Customer Question
Just got off work...

Just got off work and my 2010 Jeep patriot malfunctioned. I put into drive and vehicle started going in reverse. I immediately put back into park. I turned off car than it would not restart. Looking on dash it states vehicle still in reverse. It won't start now and I can't get shifter out of park.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?

No only code that popped up was a red lightning bolt surrounded by walls. Looked in owners manual states something about ignition.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Patriot yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing it was late. My feeling is that linkage is messed up

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not really

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Jeep
I am concerned that transmission may be screwed up from what happened.
1/7/2018
Jeep Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 6 months ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

There should not be a problem with the transmission. It sounds like the shifter cable has come loose, or broken. Can you get under your jeep on the drivers side and see if the shifter cable is still connected at the transmission?

I'm home now. Just worried that when I take in they will tell me I need a new transmission even If I don't

That is a good point. But if the shop you sent it to is a good honest shop, they will tell you what really needs to be repaired. But I promise you the shifter linkage or cable is all that is wrong with it. I see it all the time, and with the things you described, it is not an internal problem in the transmission.

Jeep Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 5 months ago

Just wanted to check in on you and see how things are going?