Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I have a 2012 Jeep Compass Latitude 4xr4 and it seems that…

Customer Question
Hi I have a...

Hi I have a 2012 Jeep Compass Latitude 4xr4 and it seems that there is a problem with the transmission. The code was for a secondary pressure solenoid failure, but after the mechanic looked at it, he said that the transmission is not building pressure

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

I believe it was P777 and yes it was reset. The car will not actually move according to the mechanic there is no pressure building in the transmission

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Compass yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I have it at a garage. However, they don't do much transmission work and will have to send it to a transmission specialist I'm wondering what the fix could involved and about how much it would be? would the transmisison have to be completely replaced?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No I think that's about it

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Jeep
1/6/2018
Jeep Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

OK so there are a list of possible causes for that code ....

(T50) SECONDARY PRESSURE SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT

LINE PRESSURE SOLENOID

SECONDARY PRESSURE SENSOR

SECONDARY PRESSURE SOLENOID

SECONDARY PRESSURE CONTROL SYSTEM

TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE

With these cause you can see a range from about 300 -1500 in repairs depending on the fault of the issue, the transmission should not have to be replaced, more than likely is a solenoid

it could still be a solenoid even if the car does not even move? It went into "limp" mode for about 30 minutes before it just stopped moving altogether. The mechanic (who is not a transmission expert) said that he think's it's just "gone" and probably needs to be replaced. It has 145,000 miles on it, which is not that much. I just want to be armed with some informaiton for the transmission place when they send it over there on Monday. The code that it threw was P0777.

Oh if its not moving it may need a clutch pack too, but they will take it apart and rebuild it, it could be not moving because it protecting itself and just be a solenoid, but the trans shop will do some diagnostics and figure that out, 145k out of a trans now a days is pretty good. Especially on a jeep

how much would a replacement (new, used or reuilt) generally cost?

labor for trans removal and fluid fill with line flush is 5 hours on a 4wd

used 250-500

rebuilt is labor plus whatever parts you need thats a hard one to price out

new aftermarket 1200

new OEM 2500

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. I would like to receive nothing less than a 5 star rating. If you feel we aren’t there yet please let me know or respond more so we can get the answer you feel is correct. You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you. Negative ratings do not result in a refund so If you’re not satisfied with the work we have done so far please respond more and let’s get your question figured out. Thanks Shawn!

Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician