Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

Everyone! It has been a couple of years since I used your…

Customer Question
Hi, everyone! It...

Hi, everyone! It has been a couple of years since I used your service and the JustAnswer.com mechanic fixed my 2003 Mitsubishi Montero (Ms. Pearl, you were my liaison back then too!). I printed-out his instructions and my local mechanic understood the problem and fixed it. Thank you! My next issue is I purchased a 2007 Jeep Overlander with a 5.7L HEMI. I was getting 21 to 24 miles to the gallon with it on the highway and now I get 13 to 15MPH. The car had some electronic issues and the used car dealer how a flash and diagnostic programmer they used to stop the wipers and signals from flashing when not in use. I think they flashed the MDS program. Last year, a Dodge Dealer fully serviced the vehicle and added a $2000 dollar extended warranty. The dealer serviced the transmission, power train check and cleaned the throttle bottle; 100,000 mile service check-up. However, I do not think the MDS system was programmed back-on (because they did not test it on the highway after the check-up). Should I take it back to the Dealer to check the MDS programming? I sure could use the extra mileage!

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Do you know if there is power to the wiper motor?

All that is O.K. Everything works. Just I no longer have the 21 to 24 MPH I used to get.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Montero yourself? What have you tried so far?

It is a 2007 Jeep Overlander.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Jeep
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/5/2018
Jeep Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Did the mileage drop after the programming was done?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, Sir!
Only dropped after the Used Car Dealer (who I purchased the Jeep from) used a handheld code diagnostic device to stop the auto rain sensing wipers from activating; then fixed a flashing blinker problem. He fixed the code, but I think his non-dealer programming device disabled the MDS. I did not even know about the MDS system until last year, and after the Dodge Dealer performed a full service check-up and Tech Bulletin/Recall update (ignition switch replacement), I do not think the MDS is working. Everything else is.

Okay then yes, you should return to your Jeep dealer and see if the proper programming was done. Jeep has released a service bulletin that calls for reprograming the system with a new update for the MDS. They can run your vin number and see if this was done and if not then you will want to get it done. I have enclosed the bulletin in the link below for you as well. If this has not been done then it needs to be done.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/17gwkemwhqm1mgl/MDS%20programming%20Jan%205.pdf?dl=0

Just checking in to see if your still needing help with this , if so please post back and we can work from there if need be. If not then please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician