Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee, brakes fail when in a tight turn…

Customer Question
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee, brakes...
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee, brakes fail when in a tight turn (left or right). Pads and rotors were replaced 3,000 miles ago. Brakes are solid when braking straight ahead or in a moderate turn, never fail, never fade. Brake failure does not appear to be a result of “pulsing” from the anti-lock braking system. What can be causing this?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Jeep
1/4/2018
Jeep Mechanic: roybelding, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
roybelding
roybelding, ASE Certified Technician

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

do you mean the pedal goes to the floor or it just will not stop???

Roy

It just will not stop. Pedal remains firm, but braking action at the wheel ceases.

have you had the brakes checked??

it sounds like the hoses are stretching and no fluid is flowing to the wheels under stress of hard turns

Roy

if I understand you, the brake hoses stretch during a tight turn thereby causing the ID of the hoses to constrict and impede the flow of brake fluid to the calipers? And there is no sign of brake fluid leakage?Yes, the brakes were checked by a national service center. They could not duplicate the problem. They hypothesized that it was simply the ASB kicking in.

there will be no leaks if the hoses collapsed.

if the abs is kicking in, the light would light up indicating abs braking.

Roy

In your years with Chrysler, how often did you see brakes malfunction due to stretched hoses?

less than a hand full

it is a possibility. I am trying to give some ideas. otherwise I would be looking at front hubs.

Roy

How might the front hubs be involved?Could wheel speed sensors be involved too?

if the bearings are worn and loose, it will tilt the wheel and may apply the pads in the caliper.

Roy

The vehicle has 301,000 miles on it, and I suspect the front hubs are the originals, so maybe you’re on to something here. What do you mean by “it may apply the pads in the caliper”?

the wheel or the hub will tilt and that tilt will partially apply the brakes without you hitting the brake pedal.

Roy

OK, I see. But “applying” the brakes would not seem to be the problem here. It’s as though the brakes are RELEASING in the tight turn.

when the wheel tilts and the pads hit the rotor, the caliper piston gets pushed back which means the pedal will go much lower until the piston hits the rotor again.

Roy

At about 298,000 miles I replaced upper and lower front control arms, upper and lower ball joints, coil springs, tie rod ends, steering strut, steering gear and pitman arm. I checked for play in the hubs but couldn’t detect any. The alignment shop didn’t comment on the hubs one way or the other.

you still need to have them checked

OK, I’ll take it to the Jeep dealer and see if they can troubleshoot it for me?Any other ideas on possible causes?

Please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. that is the only way the site will pay me for my efforts.

Roy

Relist: Other.
I was hoping to get a more definitive answer to my post. I really haven't benefitted if the answer is to “have the problem checked by a professional”. I could have done that from the beginning without using JustAnswer. I don't mind paying the fee if I have benefitted from the answer. In essence, the answer I received is equivalent to “I don't know for certain what the problem is”.

hope you find your issue.

Roy