Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

98 jeep 4.0 Cherokee.... turn on key: cooling fans on, 98…

Customer Question
98 jeep 4.0 Cherokee......

98 jeep 4.0 Cherokee.... turn on key: cooling fans on

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

98 Cherokee 4.0 turn on key: cooling fans on, a/c clutch on, fuel pump runs continuously(does not cycle), engine cranks wont start(appears no spark) and the odometer will not light up

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes.... old plow jeep I changed the battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not really prolly best to chat directly

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Jeep
1/4/2018
Jeep Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

Your powertrain control module is down for whatever reason. There are several things that could be going on and it will require some testing to determine exactly what is wrong. The problem may be a poor power or ground to the PCM, a short to voltage on a sensor ground circuit, a short to ground on a reference voltage circuit, or the problem may be internal in the PCM. There is a very good chance that the PCM will need to be replaced.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

think I covered all the grounds... I do have a small 15A fuse that keeps blowing in fuse box under hood how do I test the pcm?

You don't test the PCM.

What fuse is blowing?

bottom right 15A in center of fuse box the..... cluster of small fuses between relays and big fuses ... looking at diagram on inside cover

What is the location number?

there is no location numbers on fuse box under hood only the diagram under the cover as I described

Please upload a picture of the location or give the exact description listed for the fuse.

looking at the diagram on inside cover of the underhood fuse box..... in the middle of block there is a cluster of 12 small fuses in between the big highamp fuses @ the bottom and the relays at other end... it is the 15A fuse in the botom right corner of these 12 small fuses.... I have no description other than the above location... nothing on that fuse box in owner manual

Does the fuse blow immediately when installed or does the key have to be turned on?

key on
Can you remove the ASD relay and see if the fuse still blows?
now that fuse isn't blowing ..evidently it powers the odometer as that is lit up now..... every thing else is the same as described
Do you mean the instrument cluster?
The entire instrument cluster was down?
no don't think so..... when that fuse was blown the odometer did not light.... rest of cluster seemed to be functioning
There isn't a fuse for the odometer, it's part of the instrument cluster. We're you seeing a no bus message instead of mileage?
that whole window was nuthn....black... that fuse lites the odometer and interior lites

Are you hoping to do the required electrical testing yourself?