Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

I have replaced the old coil distributor with a HEI, It

Customer Question
I have replaced the...

I have replaced the old coil distributor with a HEI, It try's to start , I have double check to make sure I installed it on compression stoke on TDC and its right the wire are wright on the firing order ,the rotor points to number 1, I did run the battery wire to the old positive wire from the old wire buy it tried to start, so im was thinking maybe I was getting 12 volt from there so I just temporally ran directly to battery, still the same trys to start, Im getting spark to plugs, and its not a carb issue, getting fuel, im running out of ideas, think about maybe bad gas at this point

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

I know the battery is not good I keep a charger on it, yes ive change them before, but would the wire going to the old coil for the battery source wrong

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

1976 CJ5 304

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, ive reinstalled the distributor to make sure I had it on compression stoke on number one piston and on TDC and it was, and rotor lined up on cap on #1 wire

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Is it possible that this motor jump time a little

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Jeep
12/31/2017
Jeep Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 1 month ago
Pete, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Let's see if it is flooded out.Try holding your foot to the floor on the gas pedal and crank over the engine and see if it starts.If it does release your foot from the throttle.

If this does not work and you know for sure it was installed properly this may be a fault with bad fuel that is old and is not igniting.I have seen this cause this issue before when you have had to drain the fuel tank and add new fuel and clear out the fuel lines to resolve this issue here.

It is also possible that the timing has jumped a tooth or two causing this issue needing to be checked into and repaired.

All of these need checked into to locate and correct this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if TDC and rotor and compression stoke is tight how can I check and rule out the timing chain jumped, before I start draining gas

Are the spark plugs wet with fuel?

O.k.,this wont be timing at fault.If it was, the spark plugs would still be firing off and would not be wet but the engine would not start.If you have spark at each plug but the plug is wet this indicates poor fuel causing this issue.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician