Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I installed led headlights and now it won’t start? Lights…

Customer Question
I installed led headlights...

I installed led headlights and now it won’t start ? Lights work great there is power just won’t start

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?

Yes and yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

2011 Jeep Wrangler 70th anniversary 4 door

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Wrangler yourself? What have you tried so far?

I’ve disconnected the battery to see if it resets anything checked the fuses

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that’s it

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Jeep
12/30/2017
Jeep Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 3 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you,I will try to help you with this issue

unplug the connector on the led headlights and reset it and try to start it again ,will it ?

in the security light triggered on , did you disconnect the battery when you worked on the lights ?

lets start here

No I didn’t , no the lights not on , still won’t start ! I removed the lights all together still won’t start ! Disconected the negative battery terminal for an hr still didn’t start ! Checked all fuses seem to be ok !?
I’ve let it sit over night now to see if the computer reset itself I’m goin to try to boost it if need be

ok lets Try the disconnect this way

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconnect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )you can use any electrical wire as an extension if battery cables don't reach .the reason we do that is to take any residual power in the wiring harness to try to reset the modules ,and there will be no spark created touching them since we took battery power source out of the loop by taking both cables off

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 30 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables ,Positive cable First

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

If that does not work ,and all fuses checked then we will need a factory scanner or equivalent to run a diagnostic scan & retrieve fault codes from the Vehicle modules and based on these fault codes we can pull up a Pin Point troubleshoot
and be accurate on it ,If you do get it scanned ,you can post the fault code back here for me and I can help you further on it and be more accurate .

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

do not boost it,charge the battery first with charger

Ya that didn’t work either, there is pwr but all it does is click won’t turn over
I think I’m going to have to get it checked so this was a waste of money ��
Well no worries , I can opt out of your question and open it for other Expert opinion so you are not waiting ur money by rating me
Jeep Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 30+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Do you still need help with this concern? If so, please post a reply and we can go from there...

Thank you,

Robert

Any extra input would help yes ! Have you read back on the notes ? Still won’t start I’m goin to get a battery charger as we speak

My two cents is basically to let you know that you will need to "Load Test" the battery to make sure that the battery is ok. It is very possible that the battery happened to fail when you were installing the LED headlamps. turning the ignition on and off and having the doors open during the time the vehicle was being worked on may have ran down the battery. Even though you charge the battery it may still be bad. The load test will determine if the battery is capable of delivering sufficient amperage to run the starter as well as keep the computers powered up. I recommend to take the battery to your local AutoZone or Oreilleys and have them run the load test on it. IF you charge the battery yourself, let them know this when you take it in for the load test so that they won't tell you that you need to leave the battery an hour or more for them to charge it before testing it... If it fails the load test, you will have no choice but to replace the battery....

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

I pushed it into the driveway and boosted it seems ok now ? The other guy said not to but it seems to have solved the issue for now

I still highly recommend to take the battery (or the complete vehicle) to have the battery load tested. I would hate it if you were out and about and stop at a store or something then get stranded at the location when you come back out to your vehicle.

If the battery fails the load test or is weak, replacement is highly recommended as a preventive measure...

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please don't hesitate to ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you!

A "One Star" or "Two Star" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

This site operates on the honor system, meaning I only get paid with a "3 Star" rating or better. Once you are satisfied with my service, please "Rate". Remember, you have already paid to use the site, all the rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time and effort. Expert Payment comes out of the fee you have paid to use the service. Leaving no rating results in the WEBSITE retaining the payment and the Expert that helped you out receives no credit. Thanks in advance for a "5 Star" Rating.

I will be replacing the battery regardless , it is -42c here right now so I think the swap and stress plus the weather played a roll in the whole senario!

Definitely. That arctic freeze can definitely kill a battery in a hurry...

Thank you,

Robert

****Please remember, this expert will not be paid for his time and effort unless you "Rate" leaving a "Positive" rating of 3 Stars or better. Thanks in advance for a positive rating ****

Robert R
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician