Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

I get all kinds of codes on my reader for the check engine…

Customer Question
I get all kinds...

I get all kinds of codes on my reader for the check engine lights sometimes its just the

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

STYAYS

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

2009 JK 0404 MOSTLY THEN EVERY ONCE INA WHILE OTHER CODES I GOT RID OF 0430 WITH CAT CLEAN NOW I HAVE 0420 AND 0138

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

OTHER THAN CATACLEAN NOTHING ELSE I RECENTLY BOUGHT THE EPG VALVE THE CANISTER AND VALVE IN THE BACK

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

NO IS THERE A FEE

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Jeep
12/29/2017
Jeep Mechanic: Chris, Shop Foreman replied 1 month ago
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Yes there is a fee, looks like your fee will be around $28.00. Do you want to continue?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I JUST PAID 26 DOLLARS
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
WHATS HAPPENING HERE I JUST WENT TO PAYPAL AND PAID 26 DOLLARS BUT I JUST TOOK ME BACK TO PAY AGAIN?

Ok, then that is what your fee will be. So tell me, you now have only the P0420, and P0138 codes?

Chris

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i have had only the 0404 on and off
then last week I had 0404 and the 0430
both were cleared with catcalling\
now i have 5 listed codes in order they are
0404
0420
0404
0430
0138
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
cataclean

Ok, the P0420 and P0430 are catalytic converter codes (efficiency problem with the cats), The P0404 is an EGR valve code, and the P0138 is an oxygen sensor heater code. How many miles are on the Wrangler?

Chris

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
120k
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
but how can there be problems when the codes change and go off all the time? and over the counter products change or eliminate the code?

Those cats may be worn out. Stand by, I want to check a few things. I will be back in about 2 to 3 minutes.

Chris

Are there any exhaust leaks at or near the catalytic converters? Even tiny leaks?

Chris

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
this i don't know the one garage I took it to just said based on the code that the cats are bad but he didn't run a smoke test or anything\
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the exhaust from visual inspection doesn't look great \
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
rusted on the outside
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
could it be the o2 sensor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
could the root of the problem be the erg valve being that is the primary code

Ok, well at that kind of mileage, they may be worn out, BUT like I said, tiny leaks can set those codes. As far as the P0138, you will probably have to replace the right downstream O2, and the EGR valve will probably take care of the P0404.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
is it possible the egr valve is the cause of all other codes?

I would do the EGR valve and O2 sensor first, then clear the codes and verify there are no exhaust leaks.

Then if the P0420 and P0430 return, replace the cats,

Chris

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the whole emissions issue is a crap shoot because these other codes only just popped up?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what do you make of the fact that the cataclean erased the 0430 code?

Well it takes a few drive cycles for the computer to see if the cats are working or not. You could drive a lot before it conemns them and sets the code. That is just how it works.

Chris

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok i will change the egr valve first and see what happens thanks

You are welcome! Sounds like a good plan.

I hope this information/answer is helpful, and if so would you please help me and rate my service using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!
You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you!

Chris

I hope my information/answer from the other day was helpful, and if so would you please help me and rate my service using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.

Chris

Chris
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman