Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

I replaced the valve body on my 43rle transmission, its all…

Customer Question
I replaced the valve...

I replaced the valve body on my 43rle transmission, its all new. Now it doesn't go into gear, occasionally when I sit and rev the engine it will engage for a second but feels like the brakes are on.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

42rle

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

2011 jeep wrangler unlimited

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Wrangler Unlimited yourself? What have you tried so far?

This is the 2nd time I've torn it apart and checked everything. It all seems correct. I have not checked the brake switch. When I step on the brake I hear a click

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Where is the brake switch? Would that be why it's not engaging?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Jeep
12/28/2017
Jeep Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hello! My name is Gary.
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply shortly.

Did you do all the programming after replacing the valvebody TCM?

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No I was unaware of programming. Everything I've read did not talk about that
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I do that? Can I just unhook the negative cable and run a jumper from the posative to the negative to drain the ecm?
Jeep Mechanic: HDGENE, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, no if you dont have computer programming hardware and software, you cannot reprogram the transmission as needed for it to start working. It would need to be towed to a dealer, transmission shop or local auto repair shop that has the capability to reprogram the transmission properly. This requires a scan tool and software to download the proper computer calibration files and be able to upload it to the computer in the vehicle. Nothing you can do on your own if you dont have this equipment.

HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Certified Technician