Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

My 2008 Jeep Wrangler unlimited won’t start.not battery or…

Customer Question
My 2008 Jeep Wrangler...

My 2008 Jeep Wrangler unlimited won’t start.not battery or starter,they’ve been tested it feels like it try’s to start then shuts down, I believe it’s something in computer

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Yes brand new

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Wrangler Unlimited yourself? What have you tried so far?

Changed starter worked a week then stared doing it again.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Put in Olympus battery yellow top same thing work for week then not, read about the starter actuator pin bought kit from dorman , watched video took apart strewing column have way thru realized parts were riveted that were screwed in videotried to they told me they changed column half way thru 2008 Had battery disconnected computer lost some “air tune” put column back together Jeep worker perfect two weeks went to get inspected state told me my computer failed because my computer lost its “air tun” had to drive it at 50 mph fur 20 min then20 mph for 20 min then computer would reset when I parked it now it won’t start again

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Jeep
12/26/2017
Jeep Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 6 months ago
Pete, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

When the battery is disconnected this resets the monitors in turn it wont pass emissions testing/inspection.The vehicle has to be started and driven x amount of times at certain speeds and criteria for all monitors to run and pass again.I will post the procedure I use below for this when I'm done posting here for you to follow.

When you say it tries to start then shuts down is the starter engaging at all to crank over the engine and the engine is not starting or is the starter not engaging?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

it does not fully engage that’s when it seems like it s being shut down

Is the starter clicking when this occurs or spinning at all?

I would prefer to talk on phone but not fo$36

It looks like you received the automated phone call offer.I can try and offer it for a cheaper cost if you like just let me know.Or we can continue here.

Thanks Pete

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?