Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I just bought a Jeep JK 2008. Unlimited, diesel, manual,

Customer Question
I just bought a...

I just bought a Jeep JK 2008

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '08 Jeep?

Unlimited, diesel, manual, CRDX CRD when I test drove it, there was no problems with it when I got a professional inspection, there was no problems with it when I drove it ~50kms home, I noticed a sound a clicking, whilst the engine is on now it clicks when in ignition before starting the battery has full charge I cleaned the connections with a steel brush but the clicking still occurs. the engine also starts without any sluggishness

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you double-checked the battery? And are the wiring connections to and from the starter in good shape?

I checked the battery (after the inspection validated its ok) I took the connections off and scrubbed any corrosion away then re-connected it

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have tried pulling taking the battery connections off, cleaning all corrosion off, and replacing them. the battery was full of charge according to the mechanic who did the inspection (independent)

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No the sound comes from under teh back seat doesn't sound (to me), like it comes from the engine bay

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Jeep
12/26/2017
Jeep Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 6 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

I'd 1st check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.
Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch/ pushing the start button to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch/ starter button so this may be faulty and need replacing

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced
Don't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt