Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

The drain plug in the radiator keeps blowing out. Why is…

Customer Question
The drain plug in...

The drain plug in the radiator keeps blowing out. Why is this happening

Mechanic's Assistant: When it comes to this particular vehicle, have flat tires been a problem in the past?

No this just started. It's a 2004 jeep liberty 3.7l. Blew out last night when coming home from work and the jeep jyst shut down. Got a new plug and filled it back up with antifreeze and it ran for 2 rounds t ge block and blew it out again

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Liberty yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just the new drain plug

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Jeep
12/23/2017
Jeep Mechanic: Chris, Shop Foreman replied 1 month ago
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. The threads in the radiator where the drain plug threads into have failed and this is causing the plug to not be seated and secured in the radiator. The only way to fix this is to have the radiator replaced. There is really no other way. Have the radiator replaced. if you do your own repairs and want to replace it yourself, then let me know and I will be happy to send you the procedure for doing that.

Chris

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it will keep doing that even if it feels like it is tightening up

Yes. I have seen that before. To fix it properly the radiator needs to be replaced.

Chris

Click on the link below to see the procedure.

Chris

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply?Chris

Not sure where you went, but I hope this information/answer is helpful, and if so would you please help me and rate my service using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.

Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!
You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you!

Chris

Good morning! Just checking back to see how it is going with the Jeep.Chris
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The jeep sounds like it will need a new motor which this motor is only 3 months old and the radiator was supposedly brand new. My son drove it hot not knowing. Don't know what cause the problem since he drove it hot. So now back to getting fixed again
if that is the case, sounds to me like that new radiator was defective. This in turn caused the engine to overheat. Seems to me that you get the manufacturer of the radiator to help you with the cost of replacing the engine due to their defective radiator.Chris
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Bought the motor from a salvage yard.
Ok, that will save you money compared to a new or remanufactured one. Still the radiator manufacturer should be held somewhat responsible.Chris
I hope that my information was helpful, and if so, would you kindly take a moment and rate my service using the just answer star rating system? I would really appreciate it. I will still be able to help you out even after you rate me.
Thank you!Chris
Chris
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman