Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

1989 YJ tilt steering. Changed Ignition Control module, cap…

Customer Question
1989 YJ tilt steering...

1989 YJ tilt steering. Changed Ignition Control module, cap and rotor still dont have any spark??

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fluids?

Yep

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '89 Jeep?

Islander YJ

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

There is a workarounfd a previous owner did to the control module. I checked for condinuiety through the wires before rewiring the new module. I got an ignition swith from Oriley's but when I plug it in it just make the door buzzer buzz it doesn't let the key work so I am thinking that ins one for fixed steering wheel? I 50 miles from town and already have made a couple trips today...

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Jeep
I get a spark with a spark plug hooked to the coil only when I first turn on the key into the start position and turn the key out of the start position. Engine cranks no spark on plug connected to coil while cranking over the engine. I smell gas coming from open cylinder...No spark out of the cap/rotor I checked that rotor connects to cap by using a marker on the rotor and it wore off where it touched the cap.
Could the timing chain be bad?
I think the problem might be the plastic connector where the wires goes into the distributor wires broken inside...being far from town im gonna try cut that out before i buy a new distributor
12/23/2017
Jeep Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

There are quite a few things that can cause a lack of spark but if you've found the pickup plate wires are broken then that will definitely prevent it from starting. If the pickup plate signal is not present there will be no spark.

Unless there is oil inside the distributor or excessive movement of the shaft by hand, I would recommend just replacing the pickup plate.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.