Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

1195 jeep grand Cherokee orvis edition. Lost key fob,

Customer Question
1195 jeep grand Cherokee...

1195 jeep grand Cherokee orvis edition.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Grand Cherokee?

Lost key fob, disabled/removed aftermarket alarm. kicks over but will not continue to run for more then 2 seconds or so. security light on dash is on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

I think it has to be a security issue. to much of a coincidence for fuse to blow when the fob gets lost.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

Disconnected battery. disconnected alarm. sounds like i have to try the key in the door game again to see if i get the sequence correct

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Jeep
12/21/2017
Jeep Mechanic: Mark, 22 Year Factory trained technician replied 4 months ago
Mark
Mark, 22 Year Factory trained technician

Welcome to Just Answer my name is Mark.

Cycling the door locks from lock to unlock will disable the factory alarm system. Try both front doors and also the tailgate lock. Each of these is designed to disable the alarm.

Let me know how you make out, Thanks.

Unsuccessful.
Based on previous posts provided those options where attempted and have failed.
Jeep Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

You could have a couple things going on. It's possible that the VTSS module has failed or has lost power or ground due to a wiring issue or blown fuse.

It's also possible that there is an issue with each of the lock cylinder switches. There is a switch at each lock cylinder that sends a signal when the doors are unlocked manually, which disarms security. Each of these switches may have failed or may have fallen off the lock cylinder.

You're either going to need to locate a key fob and try programming it or start by removing at least one door panel to determine what's going on with the lock cylinder switch.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician