Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

My 2000 jeep cherokee will not move in reverse unless you…

Customer Question
My 2000 jeep cherokee...

My 2000 jeep cherokee will not move in reverse unless you rev the engine up high and then it makes a loud clunking noise in the rear and goes

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Rear axile

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

Trying to

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thats it

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Jeep
12/19/2017
Jeep Mechanic: Gary, Technician replied 8 months ago
Gary
Gary, Technician

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

is the fluid full in the transmission ?

moving forward all the forward gears work just fine ?

Fluid is full and all forward gears work. After the noise it may go in reverse for alittle while after

it sounds like something is failing in the transmission

if it will not act up in forward gears the rear axle should not be the issue

the adds are the low reverse bang is failing inside the transmission causing this issue

i would have a shop drop the pan and check for any debris next

the odds are the transmission will have to come out and apart to be rebuilt to correct this issue i am sorry to say

please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Jeep Mechanic: Gary, Technician replied 7 months ago