Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

The compass display in my 2012 Grand Cherokee reads “- -“

Customer Question
The compass display in...

The compass display in my 2012 Grand Cherokee reads “- -“ instead of displaying the direction of travel

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tried the “recalibration” option per the manual with no change

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Don’t believe so

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Jeep
12/19/2017
Jeep Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 5 months ago
Pete, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Just to be sure was this the method you had tried to relearn the compass?

1. Start the engine but leave the vehicle in "PARK".
2. Press and release the SCROLL push buttons (5 or 6) until "System Set-up" is displayed and highlighted.
3. Press the STEP push button (3) to open the menu.
4. Using the scroll buttons, scroll through until " Calibrate Compass " is displayed and highlighted.
5. Momentarily depress and release the STEP push button to initiate the calibration procedure. The "CAL" symbol will come on solid in the EVIC display next to the compass direction that is displayed.
6. Slowly drive the vehicle on a level surface, away from large metal objects and power lines, through one or two complete circles not exceeding 8 km/h (5 mph). The "CAL" message will disappear from the display to indicate successful compass calibration.
7. Confirm that the correct direction is now indicated by the compass.
8. Using the scroll button, select " Turn Off Menu " to exit.

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?

Pete, Technician