Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

1992 Cherokee new engine, distributor, coil, wires, plugs,

Customer Question
CPS but cylinders 6, 2...
1992 Cherokee new engine, distributor, coil, wires, plugs, CPS but cylinders 6, 2 and four have no spark. The coil only fires on 1, 5 and 3.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Jeep
I just got charged twice for the $5 initial fee.
12/19/2017
Jeep Mechanic: James-cssm,
 replied 2 months ago
James-cssm
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. http://www.justanswer.com/jeep/avp2x-1992-cherokee-new-engine-distributor-coil-wires-plugs.html. Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.
Jeep Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 2 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

I'd start by pulling the distributor cap off and inspecting the state of the lead posts inside the cap - ideally do a resistance check from inside the cap to the contact on the outside of the cap where the led plugs in

I know you said its a new distributor but its possibly faulty

I'd also check the compression on the engine - pull all the plugs and check that all the cylinders are within 10-15 psi of each other

also check that the engine ground connections are bright and tight and that the smaller ground wires that run out of the engine bay loom and are secured to the engine block are also secured and clean

ground images attached

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

New engine, was running fine. Now only 3 cylinders are receiving spark. What triggers the coil to fire? Is it the hall sensor in the distributor? Does the sensor have a trigger position for each cylinder or are they calculated from the cylinder 1 position? When viewing the spark pattern from the coil you see 3 sparks a delay and then 3 sparks again. I'd expect to see 6 evenly spaced sparks from the coil.

hello

the coil is switched by the ECM, the hall effect in the distributor is used to generate a 'cam' position into the ECM to synchronise it all but its the ECM that then controls the firing pulses sent to the ignition module / amplifier that then sparks the distributor

so it sounds like either there's a fault with the ignition module or hall sensor and if they're ok then it must be the ECM

There isn't a separate ignition module in a 92 XJ, correct? I'm going to swap the hall sensor and if that doesn't work it looks like I'll be replacing the ECM.

you're correct the ignition amp is inside the ECM

however a cheaper alternative to replacement of the ECM is repair

try contacting these firms;

https://modulemaster.com/rebuilds/

http://www.autoecu.com/

http://www.ecudoctors.com/

Matt, Engineer