Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I have p1694,p0122,p700 and p1281 codes coming in on my 99…

Customer Question
I have p1694,p0122,p700 and...

I have p1694,p0122,p700 and p1281 codes coming in on my 99 charokee with occasional engine light either steady flashing or at times during the issue no light is alluminated symptoms are occasional rough idle, occasional stalling progressively getting worse and surging / lack of power followed by what sounds like a backfire out the intake then all is normal for a period of time

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the rough idle intermittent or consistent?

Intermittent but if I let it idle for a long period of time it will occur or on cold start ups until it gets up to temp then it begins to be normal

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '99 Jeep?

It is a charokee sport with 4.0

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I'm fixing it myself so far coolant temp sensor was replaced due to gauge not working tps sensor has been replaced and prior owner installed new fuel pump which checks out to be good also has new cap and rotor

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Jeep
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/18/2017
Jeep Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 7 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

thats quite a variety of codes, so its saying its taking a long time to warm up, problem with the throttle position sensor, transmission controller fault and CAN bus communication fault?

when you get a collection like this it usually points to a low battery voltage, especially as the coolant and TPS has already been replaced

so I'd say to do a load test on the battery ( any battery seller such as Pep boys can do this) and if this passes then check the condition of the ground wires and the connections to the engine block and chassis rail

and do the same for the battery connections

also check the state of the ECM fuses and their holders in the under hood fusebox

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

the codes are all stored and current logged the p1694 to be the most recent I will check grounds is there any testing I should do for this code the last 2 days it's been acting up the worst and while cold the transmision was hanging before shifting today it's the opposite and unless I force shift it to first it won't downshift

hello

the P1694 is the most worrying to be honest and usually means a corroded / damage CAN bus wire or a damaged ECM

I'd say to disconnect the ECM ( disconnecting the battery 1st) and check the state of the connector socket

Also have tried another battery from my second vehicle and there was no change

OK so that rules that part out - try checking the ground connections next and pull the trans dipstick and check oil level just to be sure while your're there

ok trans fluid level is just a little over max do you happen to have a wiring diagram showing all grounds?
one question could a possible distributer issue link to most of this I can move the shaft up and down vertically and about 1/8 of an inch horizontally.

Hello

a moving distributor shaft may give issues with a misfire / lack of power but shouldn't give the rest of the issues

also a little bit of shaft float is quite normal and providing the distributor bush in the cap is free moving there should be enough motion in the bush to accomodate this float

Believe to have chased back the main issue the signal wire on the tps sensor unplugged with key on has 4.6v does that lead me to bad pcm?
Jeep Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 6 months ago

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt